• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Temp Incresing

Avalanche

Reaction score
I bought a new thermostat and it wouldn't open when it reached temp. Had to drill a small hole in it for it to open. Problem was if an air bubble formed under the thermostat, the hot water didn't reach the thermostat so it could open. The hole solved the problem. Guess I'm saying, make sure the thermostat is working properly.

Adam

Reaction score
Make sure your lower radiator hose has the spring inside of it, many new ones do not. Open the hood and rev the engine while hot; see if the lower hose is collapsing from the suction. I had one do this..

Jm73340

Reaction score
A 7 blade fan also needs a HD fan clutch. The standard one won’t spin the fan fast enough at low speed to keep it cool. This won’t affect your issue of heating up on the road. The easiest thing to try is a different thermostat. The temperature of the coolant leaving the radiator should be cool not 200*

money pit

Reaction score

Attachments

• shroud.jpg
    shroud.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 122

money pit

Reaction score
I would pull thermostat and test in hot water. I might be open when cold. you want no gap at all. no day light at all.
You were right. The thermostat is stuck open. Here is a picture. Do you think I should stick with a 180 or go to a 190? Thanks

Attachments

• thermostat Pic.jpg
    thermostat Pic.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 116

money pit

Reaction score
A 7 blade fan also needs a HD fan clutch. The standard one won’t spin the fan fast enough at low speed to keep it cool. This won’t affect your issue of heating up on the road. The easiest thing to try is a different thermostat. The temperature of the coolant leaving the radiator should be cool not 200*
Just pulled the thermostat. It was stuck opened. Thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I have a profound respect for the members here.There is a lot of knowledge and experience here. I know something but I don't know everything.Thanks for following through. with your experience. That's what makes this work.

money pit

Reaction score
Thank You everyone for your expert help on my overheating problem. I appreciate it.

money pit

Reaction score
I bought a new thermostat and it wouldn't open when it reached temp. Had to drill a small hole in it for it to open. Problem was if an air bubble formed under the thermostat, the hot water didn't reach the thermostat so it could open. The hole solved the problem. Guess I'm saying, make sure the thermostat is working properly.

money pit

Reaction score
I remember when all thermostats had the little hole and some type of small valve in the hole. I also drilled a hole in the new thermostat. Thanks.

money pit

Reaction score
Make sure your lower radiator hose has the spring inside of it, many new ones do not. Open the hood and rev the engine while hot; see if the lower hose is collapsing from the suction. I had one do this..
Do you know where I can get a lower hose with a spring? I did an internet search but the description doesn't tell you if it has a spring.

DaveBob

Reaction score
I live in So. Calif. The temps are running in the high 90/100 degree range. I was driving on the freeway and noticed the temps were getting close to 250 degrees (AutoMeter gauge). I had to turn the heater on to cool the engine down to 190 degrees. I just had the radiator rodded out, new 180 thermostat, fan clutch is new, checked the timing, factory style fan shroud, and have fresh 50/50 mix of antifreeze. When I bought the 360 engine, I had it rebuilt. I didn't have the water pump pulley so I bought one on Ebay. The problem with this pulley was the belt hit the water pump housing, which I ground down. I ended up replacing both the water pump and crank pulleys because of alignment problems with the power steering pump. I purchased these pulleys from Vintage Air. They are supposed to be factory correct. The new water pump pulley is larger than my Ebay pulley, could this be the problem? The water pump belt drives the water pump, the A/C, and the alternator. Or, is the ambient air just too hot? Thanks.
What's your ignition advance for full mechanical (wide open throttle) and full mechanical + vacuum (at cruise)? A "late" burn will not produce power, just heat. Degreed timing tape on the balancer will help you diagnose. I run 35 degrees at WOT and 50 degrees total at cruise. You may just have a broken vacuum advance.

Back