• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone ever see this before

Cudachuck

Reaction score
So, no connection to plants from hidden vins.
No way to track if this is something coming out of one plant or all.
I guess everyone with an I in their vin is scared to post the full vin because they will be ridiculed and the value of their car goes down. Quite unfortunate.
Looks like the only connection able to be put together would be that this happened in the year 71 only.
Talked to dave wise yesterday. He should be getting back to me in the next couple of days.he did say there was a bunch of them. I'll let you know what he says.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Talked to Dave and he said that there is a bunch of them with I instead of 1. And showed me a couple that he has in his data base. But that was it

tonysrt

Reaction score
Did he think it was a 71 thing only? I have my 71 build sheet and no I or O's on it.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
This is the way the keys on the machine for the broadcast sheets looked in the day. Notice the I. If a salesman wrote the 1 without the hook or foot it probably was misinterpreted as an I. I'm curious if the I for the 1 is a thing only on ordered cars.
download.jpg

440WB

Reaction score
I guess everyone with an I in their vin is scared to post the full vin because they will be ridiculed and the value of their car goes down. Quite unfortunate.
Looks like the only connection able to be put together would be that this happened in the year 71 only.
I've had the I on a couple of my 1970 and 71 cuda cars. Here is one example -
Here is one of my 1971 Cuda info -
dash vin plate has straight line ( l )
fender tag shows number 1
Build sheet shows 1 WITHOUT the bottom ( _ )
Door sticker has number 1
Radiator and cowl has Letter I
SO NEVER THINKING ABOUT THIS IN THE PAST UNTIL NOW - I SEE 4 DIFFERNT ... ?

thumbnail_IMG_6641.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6645.jpg

440WB

Reaction score
Josh - No Hidden Numbers - I have had 4 cars down to nothing with every possible nut, bolt, panels, glass removed - only the original shell completely bare. Removing undercoating with some light sanding and or paint removal. I have gone over every single square Inch checking everywhere inside, outside all frame lip area's, window channels, trunk, hood, inner fenders, floors, roof on 4 cars 1970 - 1971 barracuda and cuda. A couple of these cars where bare for a couple years for my inspecting, even with friends to look as well. Only finding body X sequence stampings - NEVER VIN NUMBERS
one car had a very nice 426 stamp just above the rear side window channel.

440WB

Reaction score
It's a misnomer phrase. Hidden vin that can't be seen without removing some other part. Not in direct view of the casual observer. There were vins on the the frames and trunk gutter, but not on an Ebody. This is one of the things I refer to as a hidden vin.found in the dash. Looks like fender tag info. There are others, broadcast sheet, or other production information if left there. If it survives.
View attachment 119873
I've found papers like these up in my headliner

440WB

Reaction score
This vin has both 1 and I in itView attachment 119820
something may be strange with this one? not sure why it would differ... possibly the opperator used I is because its with letters, then after the B numbers start.

I have seen the machine they used for these tags. Each letter is set into place in a single row - something like you would see on an original printing press. They would pull an arm back to roll a rectangle brick like die block across the tag to press lettlers/numbers into the tag

Back