• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

auto trans column shift to auto trans floor shift

retro70

Reaction score
Hi all, New to this site, not new to Mopar...I just purchased a 1970 Cuda.
It had a 383/headers, A/T, PS, and many things that need correcting. It has gone through many hands before I got it....and you can tell if you saw it, many were not experienced, but that's ok. I am in the process of rewiring and redoing many not so good mods that were done to the car. Like, the PO, when changing from a column shift to floor shift, left the connections in place to the old column and introduced the floor shift so both the column and floor work and move.
Question: is there a way to disconnect the column shifter all together or will I lose maybe the wheel lock in lock position, NSS and BS inside the column? I would like to just have the floor shifter work.
Or, what all do I need to do to complete this task. If there is a link or post that explains this already, just point me.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

retro70

Reaction score
So I read the whole article and read all about the steering column in my manuals, but still no clue as to how I disconnect the column shift and still have functionality of the column lock and all other functions the column provides. Any one done this?

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
doesn't the wheel lock work with the ignition switch so when you turn the key off it locks the wheel? Can you disconnect the linkage off the steering column in the engine bay?

retro70

Reaction score
Is that a steering wheel lock? Can I just disconnect the linkage and if so do I need to be in a specific gear? like neutral? As you can see, I never did this before, never had to.

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
if your ignition is in the column,then yes that is where your wheel lock is at.It should lock in place when you turn the key off.For your linkage place the car in park and block the tires so the car doesn't roll(safety).Look on the steering column then double check that the floor linkage is hooked up.Once you do that and are sure,follow the linkage from the steering column down to the tranny and disconnect that.once that is done,start the car and shift it using only the floor shift and see if you can feel it going into gear while also checking to see if the column selector moves at the same time.When you have done that and are sure only the floor shift is working properly then remove the linkage from the column.Also make sure that the car stay in park when you have all that done.

Back