• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Axle shaft Seals

money pit

Reaction score
I bought a 8 3/4 rear end housing and axles. I'm going to replace the bearings with the sealed Green bearings. Since these bearings are sealed, do I still need the outer seal? Or, do I just need the seal that is installed in the housing? Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree completely , don't waste $$ downgrading the Cheap green brgs , the tapered roller are a far superior design .

money pit

Reaction score
I agree completely , don't waste $$ downgrading the Cheap green brgs , the tapered roller are a far superior design .
I was looking at the green bearings since some of the rear disc brake kits require the green bearings. Thanks for the info. I was looking on line for the tapered roller bearing. Most places sell the green bearings. Can you recommend a place to buy the tapered bearings?

moparlee

Reaction score
I was looking at the green bearings since some of the rear disc brake kits require the green bearings. Thanks for the info. I was looking on line for the tapered roller bearing. Most places sell the green bearings. Can you recommend a place to buy the tapered bearings?
Just go to your local NAPA store or any other reputable auto parts store.

moparleo

Reaction score
Even Dr. Diff sells them... And unless you are going to road race the car you will never need rear disc brakes. The fronts have always done 70 + % of the braking. When I was in the auto repair/tire business for over 30 years I noted that the average customer went through 2-3 sets of front brake pads before requiring rear shoe replacement. When cars are manufactured now a days, it is cheaper and faster to install disc brakes all the way around. Not because the cars Need rear discs. Just the way they do it today. Just use the best quality brake parts that you can find. Brakes/tires are the most critical systems on your car. No matter how much power you have or how fast you go, it all depends on the grip of the tires and the grip, of your brakes. Safety first. Timken bearings are available anywhere in the world.

71rag

Reaction score
I recently refreshing the rear differential with 3:91 posi, new housing seals, green bearings pressed in, disc brake from Classic Industries

990B2096-BEE2-4BAA-BB0F-F59106575984.jpeg

8B1DC716-CFEC-4222-991A-25C6D43E7FC6.jpeg

money pit

Reaction score
Even Dr. Diff sells them... And unless you are going to road race the car you will never need rear disc brakes. The fronts have always done 70 + % of the braking. When I was in the auto repair/tire business for over 30 years I noted that the average customer went through 2-3 sets of front brake pads before requiring rear shoe replacement. When cars are manufactured now a days, it is cheaper and faster to install disc brakes all the way around. Not because the cars Need rear discs. Just the way they do it today. Just use the best quality brake parts that you can find. Brakes/tires are the most critical systems on your car. No matter how much power you have or how fast you go, it all depends on the grip of the tires and the grip, of your brakes. Safety first. Timken bearings are available anywhere in the world.
Thanks, good info on the brakes. I have a Toyota pick up with 265K. I just replaced the rear brakes for the first time.

money pit

Reaction score

moparleo

Reaction score
The use of "Green bearing" on the disc conversion is because the adapter blocks access to be able to adjust end play with the tapered bearing. The sealed bearing is a convenience, not an upgrade.

Back