• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bench seat shifter options

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Did all bench seat Plymouth Barracudas come with column shifter only with no optional floor shifter?
Automatic or manual would that have mattered?

aussiemark

Reaction score
I think the bench seat cars all had column shift, I have a 1970 Barracuda that has the split fold bench and it is column shift auto. That highly optioned 1971 Hemi Cuda that was owned by Zach Reynolds has a split fold bench seat and column shifted Torqueflite and that car is as good as it gets so I think that's how they were.

jeff968

Reaction score
Yes, column autos only with bench. There was a guy who had a 71 'cuda a few years back that claimed his bench seat car was also a factory 4 speed (available on B bodies) but it was not the case. No "3 on the tree" either.

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
That makes complete sense as Mopar probably thought it made no sense to put a stick in the way of a middle passenger or girl friend sitting in that area.
I however, will be trying to install one anyway because have always loved the Hurst pistol grip shifter and I don't think it looks too bad even if not intended to be there originally.
At the moment this is just a mock-up if you look closely you can see it anchored with white zip ties.
And of course the column shift is still on and working. Debating if just take out the column stick shift and leave the automatic dial so when the floor shift is moved it reflects on the column also this way no need to change it and it still has a function.

1971 Plymouth Cuda Hurst Bench seat 007.JPG

1971 Plymouth Cuda Hurst Bench seat 008.JPG

1971 Plymouth Cuda Hurst Bench seat 010.JPG

1971 Plymouth Cuda Hurst Bench seat 012.JPG

1971 Plymouth Cuda Hurst Bench seat 013.JPG

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Several years ago a guy did this on Cuda-Challenger.com. He used the 71 bench seat B shifter. Maybe you can find the thread.

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Several years ago a guy did this on Cuda-Challenger.com. He used the 71 bench seat B shifter. Maybe you can find the thread.

I remember seeing that one.
It looked pretty cool also in that the stick was slightly more radical looking fitting the b-body types better in my opinion.
I had considered doing that but went with the "more appropriate" e-body one to match the 'Cuda theme better.

burntorange70

Reaction score
I never knew that. Interesting. Just assumed a floor shifter was an option. My Dart is a 4 speed and has a delux split bench. Must have been because E bodies were hi end cars. Got the money for an E and want a floor shifter ya gotta spring for the buckets too?

aussiemark

Reaction score
I never knew that. Interesting. Just assumed a floor shifter was an option. My Dart is a 4 speed and has a delux split bench. Must have been because E bodies were hi end cars. Got the money for an E and want a floor shifter ya gotta spring for the buckets too?
The bucket seats were standard I think if you wanted the bench seat you actually had to option it and pay extra.

jeff968

Reaction score
You should definitely look at the bench pistol grip. It may be a better choice. Consider the 71 B-bodies. If you got a 4 speed with a console buckets you got the same buckets, console, and pistol grip as the e-body. However, if you got a 4 speed 71 b-body with a bench they gave you the larger shifter to better make its way to the driver. Dig up some photos to compare. 71s.

Back