• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best small block crate motors... and go

cdummer43

Reaction score
Looking at getting into a new motor as the one I had built almost 10 years ago decided to drop a valve in the #7 cylinder. I have been to my local engine shop and received a hefty quote for a pepped up small block. Then I directed my attention to the crate motor scene as the price is not too far iff from what I was quoted and the crates typically come with a warranty (just in case I have tooooo much fun) and the local place does not. Just looking for some insight to the best crate motors and prices on them, because I am sure I am not the only one that has been in this position. Thanks ya'll

Adam

Reaction score
What do you have, 318, 360? Auto trans? I would go get a 360, blocks are cheap. Have it machined and drop in a stroker kit. Make sure you have your kit & pistons first so machine shop insures the cylinder wall clearance is in spec. Scat Chrysler 360 4340 Forged Standard Weight Stroker Competition Rotating Assembly | Scat

or: Scat Chrysler stroker Kit 360 to 408 from RPM Machine.

The reason is the old cast crank and connecting rods are probably around 40 years old... the new pistons are lighter and better than the original castings., camshaft design has also improved.

Put on some EDDY or Indy LAX heads:INDY CYLINDER
Again, the 40 year old heads are prob not worth fixing.

You will need to know the chamber size of the heads you are going to use to arrive at the compression ratio you want, so pick your heads before you select your stroker kit.

You should be able do do this for 4-5 thou, depending on balancing, machine work, assembly, other parts, etc.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There has to be a lot of better options over Eddy or Indy for heads , personally I would not deal with either one . Factory 308 casting heads used from 87-92 make a lot of power , Airwolf , RHS which has changed names , are better choices , Mancini was discounting W2 heads a while back which will make crazy power but are not cheap .
As for crate engines most are crap you will need to tear them down completely & check everything . I installed a Mopar crate 360 , the cam was locktited in place so the engine would not turn over , also not degreed & was 1 tooth off , fixed numerous issues & installed it , turns out it was using lightweight pistons & cast crank with zero balancing so the dash would bounce 3" vertically @ 3000 rpm had to pull it disassemble it & balance it & re-install it .

Last edited:

jimbyr

Reaction score
I have an extra 69 340 block freshly machined .03 over with a Scat 4" stroker rotating assembly in it I'll sell you if you want to go that route. PM me if interested

cdummer43

Reaction score
What do you have, 318, 360? Auto trans? I would go get a 360, blocks are cheap. Have it machined and drop in a stroker kit. Make sure you have your kit & pistons first so machine shop insures the cylinder wall clearance is in spec. Scat Chrysler 360 4340 Forged Standard Weight Stroker Competition Rotating Assembly | Scat

or: Scat Chrysler stroker Kit 360 to 408 from RPM Machine.

The reason is the old cast crank and connecting rods are probably around 40 years old... the new pistons are lighter and better than the original castings., camshaft design has also improved.

Put on some EDDY or Indy LAX heads:INDY CYLINDER
Again, the 40 year old heads are prob not worth fixing.

You will need to know the chamber size of the heads you are going to use to arrive at the compression ratio you want, so pick your heads before you select your stroker kit.

You should be able do do this for 4-5 thou, depending on balancing, machine work, assembly, other parts, etc.

I have a 340 now that is gone as I dropped a valve in the cylinder and it is trashed. I also have tremec tko600 5-speed. I was looking at doing that but the machine shop, that I trust, gave me a quote for almost $3500 and that is depending on what is all needed to be done. I found Carolina machine engines for a 408 with everything but carb and distributor for $5k with a warranty.

cdummer43

Reaction score
I have an extra 69 340 block freshly machined .03 over with a Scat 4" stroker rotating assembly in it I'll sell you if you want to go that route. PM me if interested

Thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind.

Back