• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Blackout grill?

pagilman

Reaction score
I would like to black out my 73 challenger grill and would like some feedback and pics as to what it would look like? it is a T/A clone and i'm afraid it won't look right, thanks Walt

burdar

Reaction score
Nothing looks worse on a 72-74 Challenger then the header panel blacked out. $.02

If you do decide to do it, I'd mask off the sections at the leading edge of the fenders and leave them body color. Leave the hood moulding body color too.

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
Or, Just swap a 1970-71 Grille in it :D and do a rear tailpanel conversion,
Ive done this before and even swapped the sidemarker lights from 72-74 to the 70-71 It's really not that hard (IMO but im a autobody tech) on the front fenders you have to spot weld the 70-71 headlight buckets into the 72-74 fenders and find a header grille panel along with the headlight bezels and grille, rear tailpanel is pretty straightforward as well, drill out spot welds and pop out old tailpanel, fit new, spot weld it all up and install the tailights. Ive done this to 2 cars years ago and as I stated before if you want it to look like a 70-71 (better done if you have to replace quarters) buy 70-71 quarters and you wont have to graft in sidemarker holes. front's you will have to find junk 70-71 fenders to cut sidemarker light openings out of. Do what you want it's your car and don't listen to grumpy people that tell you different!!

burdar

Reaction score
BE&A sells 70-71 side marker sections that can be installed on the 72-74 fenders if you want to go that route.

pagilman

Reaction score
pics of grills

The first pic is my grill, the second is another option. greenmonsta's suggestion of changing grill is another option. Does anyone have any other pics of blacked out late model challenger grills?

my ta 009.jpg

black grill.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
The pic of the yellow car looks OK. They left the hood moulding and the trim at the front of the fenders body color.

I think your car looks just fine. I wouldn't paint the header panel black but I would paint your grill black. It looks like it is the standard (non Rallye) gray grill. The black looks much better and would go good with your hood.

mr340

Reaction score
When painting the grill black I would also black out the filler pieces btw the grill and bumper and btw the bumper and fender too.

burntorange70

Reaction score
I don't like all one color for the grill area. The black one would look ok if it had some silver or some thing to brake up all that black and give it some depth. But thats just me.

burdar

Reaction score
The fillers he is talking about are the three gray rubber pieces on the front of the car. One in the center that is screwed to the grill. The two outside fillers screw to the header panel and clip into the fenders. Those fillers were used in 73-74 when the bumpers were moved out farther from the body.

If your car were mine, this is what I'd do. I'd remove the fillers all together and move the bumper in closer to the body. All you have to do is drill four 5/8" holes in the bumper bracket where the square holes are currently located. That will put the bumper in the 70-72 possition. Then I'd paint the grill(just the grill) black. IF you still think the front end needs more black, then you can go ahead with the rest of it.

That's just my opinion. You need to do what ever you like best. If you are happy with it...that's all that matters.

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
Yeah remove the 73-74 bumper fillers and move brackets back as burdar said, and I would for now just paint the whole grille black except the leading edges (would have been the stainless headlight buckets on 70-71)
and when you get up the funds change the grille and rear tail panel to a 70! Car looks great though! whats up with the betty boop decal? :D

mr340

Reaction score
Walt, btw=between, I just didn't feel like typing the whole word.

I pretty much agree with what burdar said but if you don't want to move the bumper in I would paint the fillers flat black

As for the grille, leave the stainless piece around the grille silver and the leading edge of the grill paint silver.
JMHO ( just my humble opinion)

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
BTW = BY THE WAY! not BETWEEN! IDK = I DON'T KNOW, IMO = IN MY OPINION, LMAO = LAUGHING MY ASS OFF, better get the terms right! lol :D

mr340

Reaction score
btw is only "by the way" if you use caps............;)
you forgot ROFLMAO rolling on floor laughing my ass off

Back