• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake Surprise - Missing a Few Parts

padam

Reaction score
I’m trying to get the brakes working on my 1970 Challenger project.
So far I’ve replaced the master cylinder, all the rubber lines, and a few hard lines.
I had pulled the rear drums and the brakes looked decent.
I didn’t pull the fronts because I mistakenly thought I had to pull the hub off the spindle to get the drums off.
Anyway after all that I was bleeding the system, finally getting fluid from all the bleeders.
When I thought the pedal should be getting hard I heard fluid running out. It was the left front wheel cylinder.
Pulled the front drums and was surprised to see no parts inside the left side.
Now I’m having trouble finding a hardware kit. I think the shoes are the same as rears. I have some of those.
Originally a 318 automatic car.
At this time I am just trying to get brakes functioning so I can move the car around safely.

Does anyone know what hardware parts interchange on these 10” front drums?

4A9DD23B-0A94-42ED-B532-834697EE88BF.jpeg
B9EEE415-2F48-44E1-A5D4-4B51D774C1F7.jpeg

padam

Reaction score
How do you feel about just changing the front to factory disc?
That's an upgrade I will likely pursue, depending on how the rest of the car goes.
Right now I need to take it to a chassis guy to find out if what I want to do is feasible.
I just need some functioning brakes to move the car around. That's why I don't want to blow $50 on a hardware kit for just a temporary fix.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That's an upgrade I will likely pursue, depending on how the rest of the car goes.
Right now I need to take it to a chassis guy to find out if what I want to do is feasible.
I just need some functioning brakes to move the car around. That's why I don't want to blow $50 on a hardware kit for just a temporary fix.
Bite the bullet. If you ask you might find what you need here in a short order. even if you put the 72 up parts on.

Last edited:

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I am sure I still have my old hardware parts off my 70 Chally when I converted to front disc, if you are still looking for them?

padam

Reaction score
I am sure I still have my old hardware parts off my 70 Chally when I converted to front disc, if you are still looking for them?
I am going to see if I have what I need on hand. If I don’t, I’ll be interested in yours.
Thanks!

padam

Reaction score
For the time being I have just plugged the line to this wheel.
No sense getting carried away before I really know what I want for the brakes.
As others have said front discs are the way to go.
If I race the car myself it will be a 4 speed, and I may go with Willwood pedals/master cylinders.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
Yeah, Someone made a mess out of those drums. Why the extra long studs? I too have a pair of nice (stock 70) drums and hardware from converting my 70 to discs. If Rapidfire don't get you fixed up, let me know.

padam

Reaction score
Yeah, Someone made a mess out of those drums. Why the extra long studs? I too have a pair of nice (stock 70) drums and hardware from converting my 70 to discs. If Rapidfire don't get you fixed up, let me know.
The car has Weld drag lites on it and the hubs are really thick on those. It’s an old race car.
I appreciate the offer s guys!

Back