• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Buying a car long distance?+

chongo25

Reaction score
Trying to find something local, but very hard in Cali it seems to find something i Like, anyone have an experience purchasing cars from long distance, Shipping finance like JJ, Litestream ect? looking for any advice to protect myself and not to be scammed if possible Thanks

Finoke

Reaction score
I've bought many mopars long distance from private owners. I've never bought from a classic car dealership. Ebay is a good choice because they offer buyer protection, but i haven't bought all from ebay.

Facebook is a good to check out the owners name and life style and to look for pics to see if the car really exists.

Google maps is good to check out the owners address to see if the address is a neighborhood that fits the car.

The last 3 mopars, i have asked for a picture of the owners drivers license and a picture of the title with the same name on it. Believe it or not they all complied. Its easy with cell phone and text.

I always pay the premium price to ship via an enclosed carrier like Reliable. So the car arrives in good shape.

I've only bought once with a classic car loan. I live not to far from Carlisle and they have a preferred local bank that assisted with classic car loans. Are you near any big shows in California that could hook you up with a bank?

How I usually buy a mopar is with cash and a citibank cash advance. They constantly send me offers after doing it that way for 25 years.

I was always more worried of losing all my money then the actual condition of the car. Pictures of underside, trunk, engine compartment and so on usually give you some assurance. Then whatever way the car comes to me I sort it out. I only got beat once in 25 years with a totally misrepresented car and even then I was able to make all the fixes and sell and get my money back.

Hope some of this helps.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you have to finance to pay for a muscle car, don’t do it. Save your pennies and get yourself financially secure first. This is an expensive hobby.

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
I’ve bought two cars long distance. Well I bought my 74 challenger and my wife bought her 18 challenger that way. I had good luck all around with mine. Hers was damaged in shipping. I picked the shipper on mine and the dealer picked the shipper on hers. It’s best to send money to a third party like from your bank to theirs with both your banks cooperating. Kind of a third party deal. I don’t know about the finance companies though. I’ve used the same bank since I was 15 and have good relationship with them so never went anywhere else for loans. My best advice is make triple sure it’s legit and pick a good shipper. Not a cheap shipper

TGGodfrey

Reaction score
Bought my last one long distance. Phone call first, get a feel for the seller. Plan a Plane ride and find your bank locally to the seller. Go look at it, if you like it, go to the bank with the seller and do a wire transfer. Arrange for a transport to come get the car in a day or so.

Poolshark314

Reaction score
I have purchased a car long distance as well. A lot of the shipping companies are actually brokers and put your order out for bid to contractors in the source area to see who's willing to bring it to you. The downside to that is you can't trust someone else's experience with that because it's a crapshoot who is actually going to tow your rig. There are some companies like Reliant that own their own drivers and trucks, but there's definitely a premium for that. I personally put mine out for bid and had a great experience with the driver that brought it. Had a load of 8 cars coming across the country. The lift system for getting cars on and off are so cool!

chongo25

Reaction score
Thanks for all the repsonses, really do appreicate it, i am hoping to find something local first but so hard it seems, a lot of info i have learn so far on this thread,

Cuddy

Reaction score
I live in IL and have gone to California, Tennessee, Michigan, South Dakota, Kentucky. All but one has worked out well. Good advice to talk to seller and feel it out. I have also used J J best financing and they are good to deal with. I have a credit union that works better for me. Use your best judgement and it will be fine

Back