• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

caltrac rear suspension

cuda722

Reaction score
I had my heart set on the caltracs. However, i am hearing about peoples problems with them not fitting right. Is this because maybe they have modified something and when they get their caltrac and install it, it does not fit right.
If you order the system for a specific car that is totally stock, maybe they would fit right. Maybe i am being a little naieve?

IMG_0686.jpg

cuda722

Reaction score
Thanks, i was on moparts.com and that is where i was reading all the horror stories about axel not lining up, back spring shackle hitting valence, etc. That's why i think these people may have altered something along the way before adding the caltracs.
I'm going to go ahead a get it when i get enough money.

burntorange70

Reaction score
I don't see why the shackle would be hitting the valence. Caltracs Don't change the mounting oints any. Sounds like they may have done a spring relocation kit and did not do it right to me. Never hered any one say any thing but good thigs about them. I am going to get a set for my Duster.

71Plym

Reaction score
I have caltracs on my 71 Cuda and I had no problems with the caltracs themselves. I had to make some mods for them to work with my offset springs. My springs are moved in 1" with a Dr Diff kit and things got a little snug. But, as they say, that's hot rodding.

Those with shackles hitting the rear valence have probably moved the springs inboard. The inboard springs move the shackle out of the "pocket" in the valence and if the shackle is too long it can/will hit the valence. Dr Diff gave me a set of short shackles to resolve the potential problem on my car.

Cranky

Reaction score
I helped a friend set up a Challenger and first thing off the bat, I had to drill a different location hole in the split spring to locate the axle in the right place. Then he chased his tail trying to dial the car in. It was a low 9 second 1/4 mile car. After considerable amount of time working with this stuff and many calls to Calvert himself, we threw on a set of ladder bars and the dark sky cleared and the sun came out. He sold the CT bars and shocks and I'm now the proud owner of a set of split CT springs and they are now collecting dust up in my rafters. Never was much of a fan of fast cars with leaf springs and after that mess, I'm for sure against them now and see no reason to use leaf springs on faster cars unless you are running a class that won't let you run anything else...

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have a set of Caltracs & split mono's on the back of my Challenger with a doctor diff 1" relication kit & everything bolted right in & looks awesome. Have tested them yet still gathering the part for the twin turbo Keith Black Hemi.

Last edited:

416challenger

Reaction score
they work great. if you do a spring relocation make sure you tell them before ordering.this is only when you relocate to the framerail. my 9.90 duster has them and my 11.4 4spd challenger has them. had them for years on my challenger. they flat out work. make sure you talk to them and buy all the parts needed. when i put them on my challenger they were very new to the market and i went with mopar drag shocks, no good. you need the proper shocks. i don't have the the split mono's on the challenger but a-body 6 cylinder springs. i will say that the monoleafs work awesome on the duster

projectmopar

Reaction score
When we rebuilt my 70 Challenger I pulled the heavy Super Stock springs and then purchased the Cal Trak system with the lowering kit to get away from the old Super Stock (butt in the air) look. Their 2-1/2" lowering kit put the car down like today's Pro Stock cars (Allan Johnson's car).

These pictures will give you the idea what I'm referring to.

Oh, the first couple pictures are with 9X28 in tires, while the last two pictures are with 12X30 in tires.

stock.jpg

home7-1.jpg

Old Super Stock look with top of tire visible, don't get the weight transfer needed today.

phase1.jpg

caltrack2.jpg

Here's a picture with the Cal Trak system, now the body is down lower helping with weight transfers. No more wheelie's and wasting time getting down the track.

rt8.jpg

Here's a picture with the Cal Trak 2-1/2 in dropped bracket system installed and ready for paint.

Last edited:

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have Caltrac's & split mono's on the rear of my Challenger. I have not had a chance to test them out yet myself. Still building the engine/trans & among other things. Everyone I know that runs them, loves them. The fastest leaf spring car's in the country are knocking on the door of 6's in the quarter at over 200MPH on them so I would say they work.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
My only experience with Cal trcs was on a Duster , it fit fine but the 60 foot times before install were 1.72 , after the install was an amazing 1.72 , not sure what all the hype is about ?

F

fernendisjoyc

Nice pics! Are those tires having stock paint on them or did you paint on them on your own?

Back