• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can you bypass ignition safety features?

DustyDave

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Cuda. It is a manual transmission. Sometimes it will not crank. If I mess with the shifter or mess with the thing on the steering column that you have to move to get the key out…. Eventually it cranks. Not sure which of those items is causing it but I’d like to find a way to bypass it. Because today it really did it the worst and I couldn’t get it started no matter what I tried. Then I just kept jiggling the shifter and the thing on the steering column and it finally cranked. But this is scary and not good and I know it’s gonna strand me somewhere if I don’t get it figured out. Does anyone know any way to bypass these safety features?

pschlosser

Reaction score
FYI, when things are correctly functioning, it's a "start in neutral or clutch in" arrangement. Pushing the clutch in is a great habit to have, IMO.

But, yes, you can bypass it. Jumping bulkhead connections 7 with 8 will permanently enable starting in any condition.

While you can get by without this switch, if you're going to the trouble to bypass it, I would recommend troubleshooting and repairing it.

Reaction score
Good advice to find and repair the problem, it has nothing to do with the shifter. Clutch safety switch is the only "mechanical" thing stopping it from cranking, other that the ignition switch.
At the starter relay, on the inner fender by the battery, pull the clutch safety switch wire (green I think) put a jumper wire from the terminal where you removed the wire on the relay to a known good ground, the clutch safety switch is eliminated and its only the ignition switch which is left to crank the car.
Be careful it's in neutral !!

rogue

Reaction score
IMHO, bypassing safety features, or even just features, to get around a problem just leads to more and different problems later. I would highly recommend troubleshooting and repairing the actual problem, as @pschlosser said.

Reaction score
I agree trouble shoot and repair the no crank issue. My bypass suggestion was to eliminate the clutch switch for diagnostic purposes only always best to have the safety features working.
Although us old timers drove vehicles for years without a lot of the features we now have available like seat belts, padded dashes, air bags, etc.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If playing with the column helps check the ign switch , wiring & connector at the column .
Jumping the clutch switch is no big deal just make sure the car is in neutral or the clutch is pushed before trying to start it , 70 was the first year for clutch switches .

NoCar340

Reaction score
The key-release lever and shifter are mechanical devices with no direct electrical functions of their own. The shifter indirectly affects backup-lamp function, but the switch itself is in the transmission and has zero bearing on whether the car starts.
If I had to guess, I'd be looking at the ignition switch or its connector behind the dash near the base of the column, since messing with the column seems to get results and you made no mention of the clutch pedal.
However, it's entirely possible the clutch switch is intermittent if you are in fact pushing the clutch every time you try to start it. Bypassing it at the starter relay as @704406 mentioned is an easy way to eliminate that as the issue. If you bypass it and still have issues, you should reconnect it prior to continuing your diagnosis. If it bypassing it eliminates the problem, then it's time to get the switch rebuilt (Brewer's Performance does it) or replace it entirely.
Common sense says to push the pedal every time you start it anyhow, but I like my cars to work as intended, just in case. I even retrofitted a '70 clutch switch to my 1969 Valiant, which never had one originally.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
All the info above is good. Before you do all that, check the mounting bolt for the starter relay. If I recall right it is the ground for the relay. The hole gets rusty and wallered out. If it is use a smaller nut, bolt and washers.Tighten to collapse the hole.

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Since it eventually starts, it certainly sounds like a mechanical problem of some kind. 50 years of operation, things wear. The folks here have definitely given you great advice on how to troubleshoot the problem. Let us know what you find out.

DustyDave

Reaction score
Good advice to find and repair the problem, it has nothing to do with the shifter. Clutch safety switch is the only "mechanical" thing stopping it from cranking, other that the ignition switch.
At the starter relay, on the inner fender by the battery, pull the clutch safety switch wire (green I think) put a jumper wire from the terminal where you removed the wire on the relay to a known good ground, the clutch safety switch is eliminated and its only the ignition switch which is left to crank the car.
Be careful it's in neutral !!
Thank you! I successfully bypassed it and I’m happy. It starts every time now. Thank you for your help.

Back