• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can you educate a newbe on barracuda cuda?

cavemanno1

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have just registered a few days ago and just started to lean about these cars.
So far what i understand is the barracudas were 318's (smallblock)cars and 'cudas big block.
Now what's confusing me is that i read a thread about the value of a big block barracuda and a small block 'cuda.So i guess what i leanerd so far was wrong.
Read a sb 'cuda is more valuable then a big block barracuda?How they and why they made barracudas different then 'cudas?'cudas are like r/t's in chargers?

I'm familiar with second gen chargers but they are simple to understand,318 small block,383,426,440 big block.xp 318,383,xs 426,440 r/t's.

Thanks for your time!
Peter

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Same principle as the same generation B bodies. Barracuda BH cars had /6, 318, 383 2bbl and the Cuda BS cars had 340, 383 4bbl, 440, Hemi. Of course things changed after '71 when you could no longer get a big block in an E body.

cavemanno1

Reaction score
So what is the difference between the baracuda 383 and a 'cuda 383 parts fron the 2 barrel and 4 barrel carburator?Why does a such a small item like a carburator make a difference bettween them?So there is a small block 'cuda and a big block barracuda?Apart from the carburetor barrel differences what else is there?
Can't get my head around this.How did they decide if it will be a bs or bh car.They look the same have the same engine if they came with 383 apart fromthe 2 barrel carb.So why does a 'cuda worth more then a barracuda even if the cuda has a smaller engine?
What so special over the S letter behind the B?
I think this is one of those things like with the roadrunners and satelites.Even tho the rr is just a stripped down car a better optioned satelite worth less then a rr.Don't understand why tho.
With chargers you got your r/t( 440 or 426 )so the bigger engines worth more but here with 'cuda barracuda is different.A small block 'cuda 340 worth more then a big block 383-2 barracuda.BUT WHY?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The BS(special) came standard with more HP stuff, Rallye instrument cluster, sport hood etc..
The 383 4bbl was an HP engine with around 330 horse while the 2bbl engine was 290 horse and dropped to 275 horse in '71. The 340 has always been a performance engine.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Same principle as the same generation B bodies. Barracuda BH cars had /6, 318, 383 2bbl and the Cuda BS cars had 340, 383 4bbl, 440, Hemi. Of course things changed after '71 when you could no longer get a big block in an E body.
You forgot the 383 4 bbl. N code on the BH cars. It makes things real confusing.

Racer57

Reaction score
BH is the Barracuda and was for people that liked the body style but had a limited budget. BS is the Cuda and was for people that were trying to impress others, thought they were NHRA racers and/or had more money than brains. :D

moparleo

Reaction score
The main reason that Cuda's are worth more than Barracuda's is because we think they are worth more. It is the "package" that make them the same models but different, because of performance and trim packages available on the Cuda trim package. Including the 383 2bbl standard performance engine, no performance engines were available on any Barracuda. Cuda Only. But you will learn that there is no such thing as never happened when it comes to Mopars. Let just say that it was never supposed to happen.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Otherwise I did ok, right? That was off the top of my head.

Seems good to me.
2thumbs.gif

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Leo. The 383 performance engine was available on Barracuda. Even though it was rated 5 hp. less, it is the same motor. Here is a page from the dealer data or order book.
70_Barracuda0014.jpg

cavemanno1

Reaction score
Now I'm more confused then ever!So basically baracudas have different trim package and non Hp engines!
Does this really make 'cudas worth more?After all most don't even have the original engine or trans and the trim package can't be that important!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Now I'm more confused then ever!So basically baracudas have different trim package and non Hp engines!
Does this really make 'cudas worth more?After all most don't even have the original engine or trans and the trim package can't be that important!
Is it that important to you that your Charger is an R/T?

cavemanno1

Reaction score
For some reason yes,but mainly like most people it's down to my ego or the "cool" factor,you know,having the biggest engine!
I always wanted a 4 speed and that was the only must on my list.Would have been just as happy with a 383 4 speed.
However,cuda or barracuda It makes no difference for me as long as it's a 4 speed!
I'd rather have a nice driver '74 cuda clone with a non matching drivetrain then a real '70-71 cuda project car for the same money!

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Like I said, never say never but I have never seen a 383 4bbl on a standard Barracuda. I have seen the 383 2 bbl on a Gran Coupe. The old order sheets said you could get the N96 Shaker but some times you ended up with a standard Power Bulge hood or a T/a hood on the Challengers. Anyway...what was the question ?
It only matters which one it is if you are buying with the intention of selling. The market is constantly changing just like Silver and Gold.

cavemanno1

Reaction score
I won't be buying any unfortunatelly any time soon but if i was going to buy one and could pick body parts i'd get a AAR hood,70 rear panel and 71 grill :) .But if i couldn't i could live with any of them.
I could care less if it was a barracuda or cuda and the trim package would be the last thing on my mind.Have to say the interior for them is not my cup of tea.
Love the '68-69 charger's interior but can't stand the '70's door panels and seats.
It's funny how little things can make you like or dislike things.

Now you brough up the market value of them,how much do you think i could get a '73-74 driver with any engine but 4 speed?One that needs new paint and some bodywork!

Thanks,

Peter

quapman

Reaction score
Rally dash was NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT standard on a cuda. You really can't compare cuda vs. barracuda to base Challenger vs. R/T. It's apples and bananas.

70 cuda 340? Yes. 70 340 Challenger R/T? Nope. Could you get a 383 4bbl. in any/all of the above? Yep.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The rallye cluster was available for any V8 including the 318 2bbl.
70_Barracuda0003.jpg

Back