• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Candy paint too light!!

Ray Butcher

Reaction score
A little background. I own a 72 Challenger (340 slap) and two 73 roadrunner (both 340 one slap and one 4 speed). The challenger is going back to it's original color (GA4/light gunmetal) as is one of the RR's (FY1/top banana), but the auto RR I was going to lay a candy paint on it. I have never done a candy so when a friend asked me to paint a candy on his wife's 1965 C10 stepside, I said why not. DUMB idea, I will never do another candy tri coat paint job (too much time and way too much money). Not to mention that it is really testing my skill set. Anyway, here is what I did. Really nice body work/prep followed by JP331 sealer (white), then two coats of Deltron 2000 gold metallic, followed by a drop coat of the same, next I sprayed 4 coats (75% overlap) of Deltron 2000 wineberry candy, followed by two initial coats of JC630 clear. The truck is blown apart so only the front fenders,doors, and grill assembly have been done so far (I know, spray candy all at once because it is very difficult to match) not by my choice. I looks great except it is too light and looks like candy apple instead of the darker wineberry look , should have been 5 coats of candy. I need to fix this! My thought was to allow the clear to set up a few more days, skuff with 2000 grit (dry), spray another candy coat, and then re-clear. What do you guys think, will this work the same a 5 initial candy coats would have? Thanks

Candy door.jpg

Ray Butcher

Reaction score
Dang, got to thinking a little more about this. Not so sure the candy base will get a bite on the 2000 grit scratch marks. Might have have to get a little more aggressive 400?? 600??

hofilbert

Reaction score
Candy paints are nothing but tinted clear anyways. I think you'll be just fine to add more candy over the clear. WATCH YOUR DOOR JAMS and edges. That is where candy painters get into trouble. They paint the candy like a regular paint and shoot the edges overlapping onto the flat surfaces giving in effect 10 coats of candy on the edges instead of 5.

Ray Butcher

Reaction score
I hear you there. My thought process now is: Sand the existing clear with 600 grit, load the gun with normal base coat candy, keep the overlap used before but increase arm speed so as to lighten the impact of this one extra coat (kinda like a 1/2 coat in color), clear as normal. Think this would work?

AUSTA

Reaction score
I just had to spray over fresh clear used 600 wet 2000 is too fine nothing to hang onto

Ray Butcher

Reaction score
Sorry, how fresh is fresh. I sprayed this Thursday (the 7th) evening, so like 3 days ago.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Yes about 3 days old sprayed at around 27 degrees 2 months later all buffed & looking good.

Back