• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car won't turn off anymore

mopar70

Reaction score
1970 Challenger 383 Petronix ignitor 2 inside stock Mopar distributor. Car wouldn't charge battery but would turn off when key was turned back. I replaced the alternator and now the car charges the battery but won't turn off when you turn the key back. Am I wiring something wrong?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Do you have a stock alternator or a one wire alternator? Is everything stock other than the Pertronix? I'm trying to narrow down possibilitys.

AUSTA

Reaction score
1970 Challenger 383 Petronix ignitor 2 inside stock Mopar distributor. Car wouldn't charge battery but would turn off when key was turned back. I replaced the alternator and now the car charges the battery but won't turn off when you turn the key back. Am I wiring something wrong?
Could be leakage through the regulator see attachment
RUNON.jpg

mopar70

Reaction score
It's a stock replacement alternator. I don't have the ballast resistor hooked up never had got the car as is. But there are 2 plugs there for ballast resistor. Voltage regulator is plugged in. Then there's one blue wire that's on + coil. Then the blue wire labeled distributor is going to the electric choke on carb. My tach wires not hooked up I don't know where it is inside the car. Hasn't ran properly in a long time.

AUSTA

Reaction score
It's a stock replacement alternator. I don't have the ballast resistor hooked up never had got the car as is. But there are 2 plugs there for ballast resistor. Voltage regulator is plugged in. Then there's one blue wire that's on + coil. Then the blue wire labeled distributor is going to the electric choke on carb. My tach wires not hooked up I don't know where it is inside the car. Hasn't ran properly in a long time.
Try pulling the green wire off the alternator when the key is off but engine is still running if the engine stops you may be getting a back feed from the alternator & needs a blocking diode as above.
If the engine doesn't stop then your problem could be else where

Back