• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carpet installation question

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Rear Carpet.jpg
I have new carpet going into the 73 Chally. I have cut holes around the rear console mounts and getting ready to cut holes for the seat belt bolts. The carpet is conforming nicely to most areas, but I'm thinking right where the carpet turns just under the back seat would be a good spot for some glue, and maybe other places. Do you use contact cement anywhere to secure the carpet in place?

Steve340

Reaction score
Upholstery shops use a steam machine to flatten out the carpet.
I would not glue it - you can but it will make it harder if you ever want to take it out.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Upholstery shops use a steam machine to flatten out the carpet.
I would not glue it - you can but it will make it harder if you ever want to take it out.
I have a steamer. I can use it to force the carpet to better follow some of the contours, but this carpet already has the jute backing in most areas, so I figure I need to be careful not to steam away whatever adhesive there is between them. I learned that with the headliner and contact cement at the edges! I wasn't planning to glue the carpet down like the vinyl top, just at some edges or at a tight radius where it doesn't want to follow that contour. This carpet should not be removed in my lifetime. With this ground up restoration, it will be good to go for another 50 years, fingers crossed.

Back