• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger door panel repair

Racecar32

Reaction score
Anybody ever restore their door panels ? Mine have nicks and scratches pretty deep . Just wondering if I can restore them or need to buy new ones .

Thanks

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I would restore the doors. I usually pull the door if there's a lot of work and gut it. The hardest ones to get push out are behind the impact bars! I use a slide hammer after I spot weld a nail to the dent in those areas, the rest you can massage out with a body dolly and small hammer. Just get them out as close to orginal as possible. I usually use lead on the doors smooth out a real small area but a small amount of good bondo is easier to do.

70chall440

Reaction score
I think he is talking about the internal panels.

Depending on how bad they are, they can be freshened up some but they will never be "like new". I usually replace them although I have thought about have some wrapped.

Racecar32

Reaction score
I would restore the doors. I usually pull the door if there's a lot of work and gut it. The hardest ones to get push out are behind the impact bars! I use a slide hammer after I spot weld a nail to the dent in those areas, the rest you can massage out with a body dolly and small hammer. Just get them out as close to orginal as possible. I usually use lead on the doors smooth out a real small area but a small amount of good bondo is easier to do.
Yes I meant the interior door panels

Thanks

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Should of looked closer! My Bad! Anyway, yes I did restore my inside door panels and repainted them and that's just exactly what they look like. Lol. I would just buy some good quality new ones and save a lot of time and be done with it! IMO

Racecar32

Reaction score
Should of looked closer! My Bad! Anyway, yes I did restore my inside door panels and repainted them and that's just exactly what they look like. Lol. I would just buy some good quality new ones and save a lot of time and be done with it! IMO
Thanks

Iguana

Reaction score
I used Herb's Parts interior paint to redo mine. I lightly sanded a couple deep scratches before hitting the panels with a few light coats of the spray-on dye. I was very happy with the color being refteshed from how faded they were. I guess it depends on your goal. For me, making them look better, although not like new, was fine. And after a few months it is still holding up well. No chips or flaking at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-180026.png
    Screenshot_20210525-180026.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 112

Racecar32

Reaction score
I used Herb's Parts interior paint to redo mine. I lightly sanded a couple deep scratches before hitting the panels with a few light coats of the spray-on dye. I was very happy with the color being refteshed from how faded they were. I guess it depends on your goal. For me, making them look better, although not like new, was fine. And after a few months it is still holding up well. No chips or flaking at all.
Thanks

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
If you paint/'dye them, make sure to use the plastic primer adhesion products under the paint. They make a huge difference in how long the paint wants to stay on the plastic.
Fix the ones you have and look for a perfect set in the meantime.

Racecar32

Reaction score
If you paint/'dye them, make sure to use the plastic primer adhesion products under the paint. They make a huge difference in how long the paint wants to stay on the plastic.
Fix the ones you have and look for a perfect set in the meantime.
Yes, Thanks

Back