• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Classic Auto Air vs Vintage Air, which one is best?

themechanic

Reaction score
I have a 70 Cuda without AC. I am considering aftermarket AC systems. What are the pros and cons of Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air?

themechanic

Reaction score
After speaking to Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air sales this morning I've decided to buy the Vintage Air kit. The number one reason is Classic Auto Air still uses cable controls for E Bodies but Vintage Air uses all electric servos.

As for the dash pad, I'm buying a non AC pad and installing the center and passenger vents under dash.

I had thought I could just buy a AC pad and install aftermarket vents in it. Wrong! The aftermarket vents go into holes you cut for the center and passenger side vent. I don't like the idea of cutting the new, expensive pad just to move the vents 6 or 8 inches higher for the passenger. The AC pads require reusing or sourcing a good used set of original vents.

themechanic

Reaction score
Vintage Air support said that they need to know all the specifics of each car before selling a kit and recommend ordering by telephone so they can help walk me through the options.

For example, I was asked which intake manifold I have and what size engine because it makes a difference which compressor bracket to by. The factory cast iron intake has a threaded boss near the #2 cylinder for one bracket to bolt to. I have a Weiand 7507 which does not have that boss. So, my situation calls for a different bracket.

hpjunke

Reaction score
i used restomod air with vintage air adaptors works like a champ

Attachments

• 4F4AE12A-E0D3-44F3-915D-6E0BE8B51E6E.jpeg
    4F4AE12A-E0D3-44F3-915D-6E0BE8B51E6E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 284

themechanic

Reaction score
Both Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air systems are for heat only non-AC cars without dash vents.

The only dash pad I can find is for an AC car. So, can you guys show me how to mate up a factory AC center and passenger dash vent to an aftermarket system like Vintage Air? Tell me what I need to buy and how to rig it up.

@Cuda Hunter

Thanks

Last edited:

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I have factory air in my '70. But when it's time I believe I will do the Vintage Air. I also like what they have to offer and it is more cost effective.

themechanic

Reaction score
I spoke with Vintage Air sales this morning. It seems I missed the fact their kit for a factory AC car contains adapters for the OEM vents to hoses. I had ordered the kit for a non-AC car which has the add-on vents below the dash. So, I ordered the adapters. I also ordered a AC dash pad and will install OEM vents in the center and passenger side.

Cudachuck

Reaction score
I spoke with Vintage Air sales this morning. It seems I missed the fact their kit for a factory AC car contains adapters for the OEM vents to hoses. I had ordered the kit for a non-AC car which has the add-on vents below the dash. So, I ordered the adapters. I also ordered a AC dash pad and will install OEM vents in the center and passenger side.
Will it work with factory controls?

marks ebody

Reaction score
factory AC controls will not work with classic or vintage air.
vintage air when you order their factory AC kit You have a great switch panel whether it’s a rally – or a non-rally – it is two different switch bezels but they were phenomenal.
classic has a much better belt system for the air compressor. And vintage has a lot more Plug and play

themechanic

Reaction score
factory AC controls will not work with classic or vintage air.
vintage air when you order their factory AC kit You have a great switch panel whether it’s a rally – or a non-rally – it is two different switch bezels but they were phenomenal.
classic has a much better belt system for the air compressor. And vintage has a lot more Plug and play
What's the difference in belts and pulleys?

moparmarks

Reaction score
I've done a couple of both and Vintage Air is way better than Classic. Much better fit and better design. I'll never use Classic again if I don't have to.

moparmarks

Reaction score
Classic lines look like **** and I ended making my own. Vintage lines fit much better and have better routing. Classic uses micro switches and cables. One of the switches broke and I had the remove and take the box apart to replace the switch. Vintage uses motors.

Draggin

Reaction score
I am going to install aftermarket A/C in my 1970 challenger and since I Need a new dash Pad I am get an A/C dash any ideas on how to install aftermarket vents

hpjunke

Reaction score
Do you have a factory AC car or AC dash? What adaptors? Have you got a photo or part number? How do they work?
It was a factory Ac car so ordered a new dash with air and redid my vents .If you look at the Vintage air kit for our challengers , it has a breakdown of everything in their kit so i called and they sold me the adaptors to my vents by themselves and these will convert our square , rectangle vents to oval . They snap over our existing so no cutting or nothing .. I used a Restomod air ( same as classic auto air ) evaporator and their ac controls since they are all electronic. I apologize i didn’t back to you sooner as i just seen this post

AC69CB20-EA3F-4A58-BE7D-F7B6646D8F62.jpeg

F87D28E7-CF0C-4D99-B21C-80ABC22B85AD.jpeg

0D3E1255-0C97-4CEF-BD3E-E125D380F6A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Back