• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Clicking only sometimes when starting

Tucknroll

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my 70 cuda starting. Sometimes it just clicks and sounds like its coming from the starter when I turn the key. I can keep trying and it always starts eventually. I've put a new battery, starter, relay, terminal and the wires are tight from the starter to the relay. The neutral safety switch is either bad or missing because itll start in any gear. Would a bad or missing neutral safety switch cause it to just click instead of starting only sometimes? Thanks

azmoparboy

Reaction score
I hope that I can point you the best direction. If it’s my car that has your problem the wiring is where I’d starter. Don’t try to fix the starter cables, replace cables. With these old cars, the electrical system has a large amount of amperage. All of the attach points need the be cleaned with no resistance.

Next I would pull the fire wall connector apart and look for burnt wires. The steering column has a connector that can have burnt wire connections too.

I wish you luck, because when you do fix your problem, you will have learned much.

Here is the firewall connector in my car totally rebuilt. With these old car the electrical must be totally rebuilt . Again, this is what I would do

Azmoparboy

AFDE6D64-4B91-4B67-8458-92BD8D6211B6.jpeg

moparleo

Reaction score
Engine Hot, cold, doesn't matter ? Always did this since you got the car ? Just got the car ? Recently changed anything Before the problem started ? More in fo ... Also azmoparboy is absolutely correct. Mandatory to disconnect and clean, lube with dielectric grease ALL plugs and connections from bumper to bumper. Grounds especially prone to problems. All connectors should only be factory crimped or soldered. No shortcuts or you will be haunted with electrical gremlins forever..

Tucknroll

Reaction score
It's been that way since we've had it. The ignition was out of the column. Put a new one in and it works great except for the clicking

volunteer

Reaction score
I would point the finger at the solenoid as part of the starter itself. It sounds like the voltage is getting thru the relay/switch unit - as attached to inner fender near battery. However, once the terminals inside solenoid are worn down, the current will not (easily) travel from bigger post to smaller post. I am surmising that the 'click' you describe is the solenoid slamming the middle disc on to the two terminals - but, initially, the current does not 'flow' - due to wear in this area. You could (first) test the voltage coming out of the relay unit - as it proceeds down the (12? gauge) wire to smallest terminal on starter.

Back