• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cold Bond Sheet Metal to Sheet Metal?

wedg2go

Reaction score
I am giving some serious thought about having some front inner fender liners fabricated for my e-body and my other car. The body shop, I inquired with, claims their application is done via "cold bond" method (Meaning no heat or damaged to the outer surface of the fender skin).

My question is this...Has anyone tried this and if so, does it work? My fear is for it to come apart while I am going 60 down the road and in all honestly I have never heard about cold bonding sheet metal.

BTW - For the money he wants to do this, it's hard to pass-up for that little rock protection it can give. Love my paint!!!

rklein71

Reaction score
The auto manufacturers use "cold bond"/adhesive for a number of applications. I think the strength is very strong if done right, probably stronger than spot welds.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I have a friend in the collision shop business and when doing that sort of work I think it’s quite common to use epoxy to hang panels.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Panel bond is what I am using to attach part of my stiffing kit.It is very strong, but not recommended frame or structural work.

Lemontwist

Reaction score
This is what I use. It is extremely strong. Body supply shop said surrounding metal will tear before bonded area

100_3653.jpg

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I'm looking at the same option. I have the us car tool inner fender supports ready to roll. There is a hot rod article on it.

IMG_6875.PNG

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have used it and it works great. Go to YouTube where 3m and other companies have videos on it.

wedg2go

Reaction score
I'm convinced! Adhesive? I am so behind the times.

Thanks for the photos, links and of course the replies!

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I'm gonna glue mine in for the Cuda. Thanks for setting the link I talked about btw.

Question for y'all is: do you have to remove the old fender brace that's in already to install the new ones from US Car Tool? Or do they go over it.

When I'm done I'll advise if it resolved my dreaded cowl shake. Which I call the damn front fender dance, over little or big bumps.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Question for y'all is: do you have to remove the old fender brace that's in already to install the new ones from US Car Tool? Or do they go over it.

They install over the old brace.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Thanks much for the Intel. Just lining up my plans. Hardest part is taking off the fenders and reinstall then the obvious prep work on cleaning the joining surfaces. Luckily I put in stainless hardware a long time ago so the front should come off with a breeze.

aussiemark

Reaction score
How about plastic ones and have the wheel lip trims hold them in place and maybe a couple of clips securing them to the inner fenders they won't rust and if they come off won't damage anything.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Plastic would be too weak though I like the thinking outside of the box so to speak. I've ordered all the metal and structural adhesive already and aim to install the supports in the next few weeks.

moparlee

Reaction score
Plastic would be too weak though I like the thinking outside of the box so to speak. I've ordered all the metal and structural adhesive already and aim to install the supports in the next few weeks.

I believe the OP was asking about wheel well liners to protect his paint. Then the discussion turned into inner fender panel reinforcement.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
My bad and wasn't trying to demean anyone. Wheel liners and/or mud flaps would be a nice add on yes. I have had to put rear "mud" flaps on to keep the rubber and asphalt off the quarters though.

wedg2go

Reaction score
I believe the OP was asking about wheel well liners to protect his paint. Then the discussion turned into inner fender panel reinforcement.

moparlee - You're right! My main concerned is livin' in the Rocky Mountains - key word here is "Rock" - and those nifty dimples on the underside of the front fenders produced by the tires slinging those rocks upward. About a half a dozen on my '68 and zero on my Challenger (and it's going to stay that way on the Challenger).

However, all is good! Enjoy reading and learning everything and anything I can about the E-bodies while I can. Including the discussion going on in this thread. Never too old to learn.

BTW - Some of you may or may not had noticed the "mud flaps", that Cudafor36 mentioned in this thread, already on my ride. I and the mfr, from where I purchased said mud flaps, call them splash guards and they are installed by means of slipping them on and slipping them off. In other words, they are only temporary to get there and back and not for show. So far, they have taken a *ahem* "few" hits that more than likely would had chipped the paint off the lower quarters and panel. In fact, I am so impressed, I am ordering some for my '68. Online Auto Parts Store - Jaeger Brothers Automotive Accessories - JFlaps Instant Splash Guards

Good weekend to all!!!

i_taz

Reaction score
moparlee - You're right! My main concerned is livin' in the Rocky Mountains - key word here is "Rock" - and those nifty dimples on the underside of the front fenders produced by the tires slinging those rocks upward. About a half a dozen on my '68 and zero on my Challenger (and it's going to stay that way on the Challenger).

However, all is good! Enjoy reading and learning everything and anything I can about the E-bodies while I can. Including the discussion going on in this thread. Never too old to learn.

BTW - Some of you may or may not had noticed the "mud flaps", that Cudafor36 mentioned in this thread, already on my ride. I and the mfr, from where I purchased said mud flaps, call them splash guards and they are installed by means of slipping them on and slipping them off. In other words, they are only temporary to get there and back and not for show. So far, they have taken a *ahem* "few" hits that more than likely would had chipped the paint off the lower quarters and panel. In fact, I am so impressed, I am ordering some for my '68. Online Auto Parts Store - Jaeger Brothers Automotive Accessories - JFlaps Instant Splash Guards

Good weekend to all!!!
Thanks for the tip on the 'splash guards'. It's oil & chip season in PA now and you never know when your going to round a corner and hear the pinging....! Of course you can't do much
about the car.s flying by in the other direction... :(

Back