• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Comp Cams XE262H or XE 268H

R/T 71

Reaction score
I am in the pocess of assembling my 340 for the 4-speed Challenger. I originally wanted the XE268 because I thought the rear was a 3.91 unit. I have discovered it is a 3.23, and I think the 268 may be a bit too much for the car. Will the XE262 with its shorter lift and duration be a better choice? Not going to be a hot rod, just a nice driver. Opinions appreciated. Thanks!

XE262 .462/.470 218/224
XE268 .470/.480 224/230

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’ve had at least a couple of quality issues with Comps parts so I’ve bought my last from them.

Ralph

Reaction score
Look at the Lunati Voodoo cam 702, thats what I am presently putting in my 73 340 cuda. automatic

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Comp cams are for chevys. Lol. Use a purple shaft or call racer brown or oregon cams. They can build a custom grind for cheap and then you get exactly what you want.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents ...
First I sure some, but maybe not all, know that Comp and Lunati are the same company, and have been for a while, and both are owned by Edelbrock, LLC who in turn is owned by Industrial Opportunity Partners who also own Crane , Fast, and others
The reason I'm putting this on here is because none of them are what they use to be. That's not to say there is anything wrong, there just different now.
I myself run a Comp cam roller in my 493 BB and I am very happy with it, tons of power and torque, in fact I cant even put my foot on the floor anywhere in first without smoking the tires.
Again this is just my 2 cents and there are other on this site that are far more knowledgeable than me.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Lunati Was part of Holley
Harold designed the VooDoo cams
Latest news ?
At the SEMA show, a group of private investors from North Carolina bought Lunati away from Holley.
The investors invited Ron Coleman, the owner of Comp Cams, to join with them as another private investor.
Comp Cams, the company, owns no part of Lunati.
The investors have asked me to do future cam designs for Lunati, both in my VooDoo line, and in the Lunati line.
I have heard that they intend for Lunati to return to being "The Racer's Cam Company".
If anyone is interested in VooDoos, or other cams that I have designed, or will design, please let me know.
Tuesday my phone number will be 662-562-7400, and I will answer as "UDHarold".
I also have Morel lifters, and Pacalloy valve springs.

UDHarold

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
First off, I think Chryco is one of the most knowledgeable people on here and I have used his advise a few times.
I also have used Lunati Cams many times but it was in one of those other company's engines as I was oval track racing, which I did for about 30 years and I loved Lunati Cams and would most certainly
use them again.
The reason I chose to use Comp Cams is because I am running Stealth Heads from 440 Source and after talking to them they recommended Comp Cams and that is what they carry.
I must say I am happy with the cam I chose. It is one of the smaller cams and the smallest they recommended for a 500" engine. It is the 230 / 236 @ .50 with .541 .537 lift.
I just didn't want another big rocken and rolling cam like I have run in the past but still wanted as much power as I could get and it does the job just great.
Again this is just my opinion so please take it for what its worth

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Lunati Was part of Holley
Harold designed the VooDoo cams
Latest news ?
At the SEMA show, a group of private investors from North Carolina bought Lunati away from Holley.
The investors invited Ron Coleman, the owner of Comp Cams, to join with them as another private investor.
Comp Cams, the company, owns no part of Lunati.
The investors have asked me to do future cam designs for Lunati, both in my VooDoo line, and in the Lunati line.
I have heard that they intend for Lunati to return to being "The Racer's Cam Company".
If anyone is interested in VooDoos, or other cams that I have designed, or will design, please let me know.
Tuesday my phone number will be 662-562-7400, and I will answer as "UDHarold".
I also have Morel lifters, and Pacalloy valve springs.

UDHarold
Wow! That's impressive, not trying to mess with the thread but Ijust purchased a lunati 703 voodoo cam .494-.510 I believe. The reason I purchased it was because I was told it work well with power brakes and still make hp for my 340-4sp challenger. Do you think this is a good choice for that? I currently have the racer brown ssh-44 cam in my 68 barracuda and no power brakes and that is a pretty wild cam. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would need a lot more info on the combination you have to determine if the 703 is right for your set up .

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I would need a lot more info on the combination you have to determine if the 703 is right for your set up .
340 .040 over at 10.2 compression. 2.02 j heads at 65cfm ld340 intake 750 holley 4779-1. 3.23 gear in rear.

volunteer

Reaction score
218 / 230 degrees at .050" lift about max for street or 'daily driver'. Or, look for about 46 degrees of overlap - pretty much what factory (340-360) HP specs are. I have the .441" (I and E) Summit cam (very close to stock) with 10.5 c.r. and factory manifolds and T.Q. - plus auto and 2.76 (S.G.). Hot slow idle vacuum now 15 inches - unlike previous at 9 inches (with '268' Comp.) If most of your driving is inside city limits, gear ratio not a big deal, but, for fun on the freeways, you do not need gears stiffer than 3.23 - unless you have A518 (O.D.) conversion.

Back