• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convert AC standard dash switch panel from vacuum to electric

CMC

Reaction score
I'm trying to convert my std dash (push button) AC heater control switch from vacuum to electric....

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm sure it can be done as at least one aftermarket company has already accomplished this feat with the rally heater control panel (NON-Push button) but doesn't make it for the NON-rallye switch panel.

That means you LOSE your driver side vent if you convert!!! I'm trying to SAVE the Vent!! SO I'm looking for solutions to convert vacuum to electric and keep the push button switch...

Any ideas???

moparleo

Reaction score
The heater control won't actuate the vents unless you convert the vents to electric as well as the controls. I would think it would be in a complete conversion kit. Try Vintage Air.

CMC

Reaction score
The heater control won't actuate the vents unless you convert the vents to electric as well as the controls. I would think it would be in a complete conversion kit. Try Vintage Air.

They are in a kit, but not for the standard Dash AC push button control. The kit only has the basic cable heater control conversion and when you use that control, you then lose the dash vent that comes in the standard Dash AC push button control panel

CMC

Reaction score
Why would you lose your drivers side vent?
kit. Try Vintage Air.[/QUOTE]

They are in a kit, but not for the standard Dash AC push button control. The kit only has the basic cable heater control conversion and when you use that control, you then lose the dash vent that comes in the standard Dash AC push button control panel

moparleo

Reaction score
Standard and rally dash are the same controls. Are you trying to convert a non A/C car to a/c and still use the non-a/c vents ? If so, I have no idea how you can use both.

CMC

Reaction score
SO now you see my goal: SAVE THE VENT!!!

Im trying to convert the push button AC control panel to electric...The aftermarket solutions are not available for this
use/purpose.

Anybody have any ideas how to convert the switches to electric???? So I can keep my vent (driver side DASH)???

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Why not relocate the electric switch panel. Electric switches still won't work with mechanical doors. Are you planning on using solenoids for the doors?

CMC

Reaction score
Have no plan. This is a first time Venture. I'm working my way up the learning curve from the bottom. That being said, where would you suggest moving the panel to?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I don't know. I've never thought about it. I do know from experience that vintage air works better with the aftermarket underdash vents than it does with the factory vents.

Buckminster

Reaction score
I think a pneumatic switch will work if you are just trying to control one dash pot (vacuum "motor). They are available from many sources. You can buy single action (i.e. on and off) or multiple action (so you can have a push me/pull me arrangement). You will still need a good vacuum source (If your car is like mine with a big cam, then that's out of the question), but if you are trying to maintain the stock look, you don't have a lot of options.

Back