• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convertible top hydraulics

Bill Wise

Reaction score
Happy New Year to the Forum

Restoring a 70 Grand Coupe Convertible and I have a problem, does anyone out there have an idea how to bleed the conv top hydraulics when you change out an actuator cylander?? The service manual has no information on this. Also, what type of fluid does it use. My driver's side actuator had some sort of insulation pad wrapped around it and it was banded with a twisted wire. the only reason for this I think was to obsorbe the fluid that leaked out. was not a gusher.

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can give me.

Oystercopy

Reaction score
Hey there... I did this several times in the past, and all I remember doing is just bleeding the lines at the cylinders, one by one. I believe you leave the lines off the cylinders, fill the reservoir in the motor, and just run the motor until you see no air bubbles coming out. You've got to constantly keep the levels up in the motor though, cause if you let it drop too much, you're letting air back in the lines. At least, that's what I remember doing, but the last time I did it was about 40 years ago... If I also remember correctly, I remember reading the documentation that came with the new motor/cylinders that said that it would "bleed itself of the air in the lines", just by cycling the top up and down about ten times??
Also, I recall using regular Dexron-II hydraulic (transmission) fluid in that motor.
Hope that helps!
OC

doubleyellow

Reaction score
There are actually a few web videos on how to bleed the convertible system through the motor as OC states. Can't do it at the cylinder.

I can get very messy, so be sure to put lot's of rags/towels around the motor when doing this. Not too much clearance between the motor and the frame. I had to use a small funnel with a hose attached and ran the hose into the motor, then drizzled in fluid, then cycled the top, then repeat. Messy. Maybe there is a much cleaner way to do it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I use type F in mine and recently had to replace the motor/pump with an extra that I had because the original just wouldn’t move fluid anymore. I understand they’re pretty simple to rebuild though so eventually I’ll give that a try.

Bill Wise

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, You Tube did give me some good insight. Great Suggestion. Just waiting for some parts now.

RJHJR

Reaction score
I've rebuilt motors, its easy. Kit is online. I get new hoses, cylinders and tack strips from a place in Florida, topsdown.com. I take the cylinders, hoses and motor out of the car. After filling it I use gravity to help 'float' the air bubbles up to the motor and out the fill port. Be patient, flicking it with a finger helps them float up.

RJHJR

Reaction score
And buy the pump filler, its worth it!

RJHJR

Reaction score
And run the cylinders up and down when its out to push out the air.

Back