• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Converting 74 Challenger bumper to 72 with no filler or bumper guards

cas75

Reaction score
Has anybody converted the front and rear bumpers from a 74 Challenger to a 72. What is involved and any shortcuts are appreciated

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes I have done a few , not sure why this is in the Fuel section !
The 74 is the hardest to convert , you need a set of the front mounts & may need to make new holes to line up with the frame mounting points as the facxtory used 3 bolts each side , 72 used only 2 . The rear is tougher to do there is a large beam back there , again you may be better off with 72 mounts but the holes in the bumper may not line up , also the mounting points on the frame may be different but I believe they do line up . You can just cut the beam up & modify that to move the bumper in which is what I did , I just cut two 8" sections out of the beam to use for mounting . I did mine back in 81 . I removed close to 60 lbs doing that . You will want the 70 fill panel at the rear to fill the gap between the bumper & body at the top . I recall we used 72 mounts on the rear on the Chall I converted in 2006 .

cas75

Reaction score
Yes I have done a few , not sure why this is in the Fuel section !
The 74 is the hardest to convert , you need a set of the front mounts & may need to make new holes to line up with the frame mounting points as the facxtory used 3 bolts each side , 72 used only 2 . The rear is tougher to do there is a large beam back there , again you may be better off with 72 mounts but the holes in the bumper may not line up , also the mounting points on the frame may be different but I believe they do line up . You can just cut the beam up & modify that to move the bumper in which is what I did , I just cut two 8" sections out of the beam to use for mounting . I did mine back in 81 . I removed close to 60 lbs doing that . You will want the 70 fill panel at the rear to fill the gap between the bumper & body at the top . I recall we used 72 mounts on the rear on the Chall I converted in 2006 .
Cool! Thanks for the information!

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Here is how I did the rear brackets to snug up the bumper of my 73 Challenger. A little cutting and bending to keep the geometry the same, but it can be done. Sorry so late on a reply. Any chance you could take a few pictures of how the fuel line runs from the tank to the fuel pump? I'm having a hell of a time figuring it out as I removed it about 8 years ago. Ugh.

Attachments

• Challenger_RearBumber_After.JPG
    Challenger_RearBumber_After.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Challenger_RearBumberBrackets_After.JPG
    Challenger_RearBumberBrackets_After.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 196

Montclaire

Reaction score
On my 73, I just used 72 bumpers and brackets front and rear. From what I remember, they bolted on with no issues. You can use 70-72 bumpers and brackets, but there are differences. Just make sure the bumpers you are using are the same years as the brackets.

Back