• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cowl Vin Numbers

jimbyr

Reaction score
Hi All

Have replaced the firewall and cowl in my 71 challenger and would like to stamp the vin numbers into the new AMD piece. Need a rough location and the sequence. Pretty sure they were stamped by hand and probably not all in the same place but a ball park figure would be good. Also was the complete vin number stamped there or just a partial. Thanks for the help

Jim

Challenger motor 013.jpg

cowel 001.jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
It would be best to cut the vin# off of the old cowl and weld it on.
There is only a partial Vin stamped.

js29

Reaction score
The assembly plant code, ether B or E. year 0 for 1970 1-4 for the remaining year's. then the 6 sequence numbers of your VIN.

jimbyr

Reaction score
The assembly plant code, ether B or E. year 0 for 1970 1-4 for the remaining year's. then the 6 sequence numbers of your VIN.
Thanx

So if my vin is jh23h1b123456 the # on the cowl would be B1 123456 correct? Any idea where on the cowl it was stamped

Jim

js29

Reaction score
Near the left [driver's side] cowl grill, ether in front of next to it. I don't be leave they were in the exact same place on every car! and yes B1 123456 would be correct.

jimbyr

Reaction score
Adam

I have a machine shop in Central Florida, have 6 or 7 different sets of stamps. One of them is got to be close enough. If I really wanted to go crazy I could make a set:)

Jim

AUSTA

Reaction score
If your top radiator support is original there should be a matching number on the top left near the radiator if not it should be on the inside back edge in about the same position this number should have been close to identical to what was on the cowl .
This is copy of a cowl number i made doing an acid etch process using a bitmap picture of the original
On a later version i also managed to copy the double strike on the 7

ACID ETCH.jpg

Last edited:
Back