• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

dash pads

Reaction score
wondering if the steel backed dash pads are worth the extra $$ like 2 x what the plastic backed ones are? 500- 1,000 and a place to get them?
1973 cuda, thank you

moparleo

Reaction score
All steel is definitely the way to go. The plastic ones don't fit properly and will flex. Steel dash pads are in the $1k and up range. JustDashes has been around the longest and is sold by many Mopar restoration parts companies. Like anything else there is always someone who had a bad experience. No body is 100% but that is what a warranty is for. Here is some info:
http://www.justdashes.com/Endorsements.htm

71RT383

Reaction score
I sent my (71 R/T, steel frame dash pad) to Just Dashes in late March and was given app'x eta of 8-10 weeks (should be soon). As Moparleo said ,"steel is the way to go." I was also concerned that the ABS/plastic frame would warp or buckle from heat of sun, etc., (and since my pad was still intact to the metal frame for 43 years without any separation) I opted to have mine redone.
If you do not want to have your original redone then you might consider contacting the places below.
Dante'sMoparParts.com, advertises molded pad on steel frame - $845- (colors +$100) add $200 corecharge and applicable shipping charge (?).
Was told that RosevilleMoparts.com - was offering them at $990- (steel frame).
Hope this helps out.

Reaction score
thank you.
I came across this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-74-PLY...3|Model:Barracuda&hash=item43ca0d37bf&vxp=mtr

anyone heard of this place?

also I was told by another company: ultimate rides that the just dashes ones were too "poofy" looking and theirs were hand made and as close to originals as possible-- they were 750.00 a steel core with a 200.00 core charge - they will be at mopars in the park this weekend in MN (anyone else goin?)

I already ordered one (before I found my above info) from Stevens after reading the replys above and paid close to the 1,000 price- hoping in some way its better?

I was also wondering about the 3- speaker dash ? is this not a desirable option?
mine currently is just a 1- speaker but was thinking of uprading to the 3- speaker- as I found some grills for it. but stevens told me I had to have a 3- speaker as a core, but the ultimate rides place tells me they will take any core as long as its not really rusted- and you just cut out the other 2- holes??

edison1970

Reaction score
I think that was the guy I bought my pad from at Carlise. The pad I bought from him was ABS core. I think I only paid $200. I haven't installed it yet but it looks good. I have been searching this and other sites on the warping issue everyone claims but have yet to find one experience listed. I actually have a decent original with a few small cracks but the vinyl seems so brittle that I not sure it is worth repairing it. My thought was for $200 compared to $1000, it's worth the gamble.

Reaction score
I think that was the guy I bought my pad from at Carlise. The pad I bought from him was ABS core. I think I only paid $200. I haven't installed it yet but it looks good. I have been searching this and other sites on the warping issue everyone claims but have yet to find one experience listed. I actually have a decent original with a few small cracks but the vinyl seems so brittle that I not sure it is worth repairing it. My thought was for $200 compared to $1000, it's worth the gamble.

which one? they both claim to be steel cores (for the 750.00 pricing) the plastic was 525.00 from the ultimate rides place...

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I have used a roseville dash. Made by Metro. I think the Metro brand is the best on the market right now.
Stay away from Palco.
I've had poor experience's with several plastic dash core's. Purchase the metal core.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
thank you.
I came across this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-74-PLY...3|Model:Barracuda&hash=item43ca0d37bf&vxp=mtr

anyone heard of this place?

also I was told by another company: ultimate rides that the just dashes ones were too "poofy" looking and theirs were hand made and as close to originals as possible-- they were 750.00 a steel core with a 200.00 core charge - they will be at mopars in the park this weekend in MN (anyone else goin?)

I already ordered one (before I found my above info) from Stevens after reading the replys above and paid close to the 1,000 price- hoping in some way its better?

I was also wondering about the 3- speaker dash ? is this not a desirable option?
mine currently is just a 1- speaker but was thinking of uprading to the 3- speaker- as I found some grills for it. but stevens told me I had to have a 3- speaker as a core, but the ultimate rides place tells me they will take any core as long as its not really rusted- and you just cut out the other 2- holes??

Instrument Specialties in Rhode Island is arguably the best in the business. They are recovering my T/A dash after repairing some rust/rot areas in the original steel core. They can also turn your one speaker dash into a three speaker and vise-versa. True concours quality work. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. www.instrument-specialties.com

jeff968

Reaction score
I have a Ulitimate rides dash in my T/A. Steel core, required a core trade in. It is pretty good, not perfect, and a good deal at just over $500 that I paid. I picked it up at Carlilse to save on shipping. I hear Just dashes is the best but their dashes are a $1000.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I have a Ulitimate rides dash in my T/A. Steel core, required a core trade in. It is pretty good, not perfect, and a good deal at just over $500 that I paid. I picked it up at Carlilse to save on shipping. I hear Just dashes is the best but their dashes are a $1000.

Wish I had known about them earlier. Costing me $2K to get mine done. Thanks for the info...

js29

Reaction score
Just dashes did a firebird t/a dash for me 8 or 9 years ago. grate job and still looks like it did the day i installed it . could not be happier with them

Reaction score
I ordered a pad back in june from Stevens (backordered) and they just now told me the steel core ones are no longer being made (???) and there is nothing wrong with the plastic cored ones, any comments here, true about the steel?

hpjunke

Reaction score
I also have an ultimate rides dash in my challenger . looks great and fit is ok for $500.00 to me was a good deal for what i got

cuda8u

Reaction score
lots of other companies make an incorrect 70 chall dash with the "challenger" writing on a metal/shiny plate,71-74 had this

Back