• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dim light bar for non-rallye cluster

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Hi. Got a 70 Challenger. I can't see my speedo/gauges at night. The 3 lights work, but are very dim. They dimmer switch is all the way up. I can dim them to completely off with the switch, so does that mean the switch is OK? The bulbs are #1893 incandescent. Is there some kind of reflector inside the light bar?Also, what is the blue light in the attached photo? It doesn't go on with the other 3 lights? Thanks a lot.
Screenshot_20230214_181624_Gallery.jpg

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Ok. I thought the non-rallye cluster only had 3 lights and all 3 of mine are pushed into their respective holes. The one with the blue cover looks like it is facing outward and at an angle. I'm totally confused now.

marks ebody

Reaction score
That lite is a light package when you open the door that light and the key light would light at the same time so you could see to turn on light switch and where to put your key

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Check the ground first. use a wire connect to a good ground and to light bar or outside of socket. Alligator clip wire or bare end jumper wire.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
For one thing you have the wrong light bar. In my picture the top is for a standard dash (3), the bottom one is for a rallye dash(4).

LtBarComp2.JPG

HemiCap

Reaction score
Hi. Got a 70 Challenger. I can't see my speedo/gauges at night. The 3 lights work, but are very dim. They dimmer switch is all the way up. I can dim them to completely off with the switch, so does that mean the switch is OK? The bulbs are #1893 incandescent. Is there some kind of reflector inside the light bar?Also, what is the blue light in the attached photo? It doesn't go on with the other 3 lights? Thanks a lot.View attachment 102395
I put blue LED in mine and left the blue cover off.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Hi. Got a 70 Challenger. I can't see my speedo/gauges at night. The 3 lights work, but are very dim. They dimmer switch is all the way up. I can dim them to completely off with the switch, so does that mean the switch is OK? The bulbs are #1893 incandescent. Is there some kind of reflector inside the light bar?Also, what is the blue light in the attached photo? It doesn't go on with the other 3 lights? Thanks a lot.
Question: I can dim them to completely off with the switch, so does that mean the switch is OK?
Answer: The dimmer switch may be defective and not supplying full voltage to the light bar bulbs even if it allows you to adjust them from dim to OFF.

Question: Is there some kind of reflector inside the light bar?
Answer: Yes, the bulb is reflecting on the interior silver-painted surface and light shines out through the blue-green plastic lenses.

Question: What is the blue light in the attached photo?
Answer: Yes, as marks ebody replied, that extra bulb is part of the A01 - Challenger Light Group. You should see the other lights listed in the salesman's pocket guide list below on your car.
1676515597507.png

This LINK has a lot of info on the 1970 Challenger instrument cluster light bars.

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will check the ground. Also ordered some blue LED bulbs. It was only like $10 for 20 of them on Amazon. I figure if only half of them actually work, I'm still ahead. After ordering them I realized the light bar windows are green. Green and blue makes purple haha. Yes, I have the standard light bar and the non-rallye cluster. It's not a real S/E R/T.

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Thank you moparcarguy, challenger rta, ew1bh27, hemicap, adam and marks ebody! It is very clear to me now. Fantastic links, photos, diagrams and info. Even the fact that Challenger light bars were curved is interesting.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
You may find that white LED bulbs work better when filtered through a colored lense.

Dons R/T

Reaction score
You may find that white LED bulbs work better when filtered through a colored a
Thought of this at first, then ordered what they call ice blue because I was afraid clear might be annoyingly bright. Now, I'm thinking like you. I'll see how the blue works out. They're actually described as ice blue and look lighter than the regular blue so maybe it will look ok.

Dons R/T

Reaction score
Fixed the ground and put in some ice blue LEDs and it looks fantastic. The wire on the light on the right was too short to allow me to insert the bulb back in the tube. That's probably why it had a shorter 1445 incandescent bulb in it. Just ordered some shorter LED bulbs. Thanks for all the tips.

20230217_155658.jpg

73Banana

Reaction score
Fixed the ground and put in some ice blue LEDs and it looks fantastic. The wire on the light on the right was too short to allow me to insert the bulb back in the tube. That's probably why it had a shorter 1445 incandescent bulb in it. Just ordered some shorter LED bulbs. Thanks for all the tips.

View attachment 102486
I replaced the "blue light" upper left with an led and blew the fuse. I would stay with regular bulb on that one.

Katfish

Reaction score
I went with LEDs and its much brighter
Yellow LED with the blue lenses gives the green light

Back