• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Distributor Problems

mopar70

Reaction score
I have a 69 383 that runs really bad its a brand new rebuild. I bought it that way and the distributor is a Mallory and when I took it to my engine guy he said its no good. He said that the stock ones are way better with a petronix in it. So I don't know what to do because the Mallory is not a cheap distributor and I want the best one I can get.

Last edited:

SS/DA

Reaction score
For my money, I think the Mopar performance electronic distributors are great...Get the kit
BTW don't hook up the vacuum advance and they work fine...Another thing; you can remove
the ballast resistor and get full power to the coil....It may shorten the life of the coil a bit
but it's well worth it....

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Pertronics is the least relibale system I have used , the Mallory is ok but the wiring is unique & you need everything to work with it.
I use the Mopar systems a lot but the ECU do not seem to be as good as the original ones , the Rev-N-Ator seems to be a good option .

Last edited:

moper

Reaction score
What does he say is wrong with the Mallory? Is it in the car already? What is it doing to make you think it's bad?

Schtick

Reaction score
I installed the Firecore Plug and play distributor, coil and wires. I kept the Chrome box for now. I love it. Starts right up hot or cold and smooth as silk throughout the Full RPM range. 440-6

John

70 440cuda SIx Barrel.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Sounds like your engine guy is not your distributor guy. Out of the box, anything that isn't broken or installed wrong should work to make your engine run good. Now as far as horsepower, longevity, tuneability, those things are something else. If you still have the install info that came with the ignition, go back and recheck all connections and adjustments.

moper

Reaction score
If you're dead sset on buying something - the MP unit is ok. It's not my favorite because it's not multispark. But it will work fine. That being said - you don;t say what the issues with the engine are. It might be easier if you could note those problems.

Back