• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Does anyone ever make their twin bulge hoods functional?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
If you go to mymopar dot com, there are downloadable factory parts manuals available. They're not the most intuitive thing in the world at first, but once you get the hang of 'em they're not bad. Over the years, the numbers changed somewhat frequently (the above-posted one is from a '70s motorhome) but anything through about '73 should be the correct style of thermostat. Obviously, there are different numbers for different temps... keep checking the usual suspects for any/all of the numbers of your chosen temps. In your searches, you will find old-stock aftermarket stats like Robertshaw (the original vendor) and others. If it's all-brass and looks like the above drawing or the photo below, go for it. Robertshaw made them for everyone--except Mr. Gasket, whose stats should be avoided at all costs. I can't stress that enough.

View attachment 81831

My Valiant drag car has a cheap Asian 3-row aluminum radiator and 10.5:1 W2-headed 340 with a solid roller cam. With the correct style of thermostat it holds 180° with a death grip, even while idling on a humid 95°+ day.
Thanks a bunch. For some reason I can’t seem to find an FSM for the 74 Barracuda. Maybe I should search for a 1969 vehicle that had the 440, since that’s the engine my car has?

NoCar340

Reaction score
You need the parts manual, not the service manual. 😉 The .pdf is broken down better for 1969 between illustrations and number listings, so it's easier to use (there's an index on the LH side). The '70-'71 is the same way but being two years together it can be a bit messy.

When you find a diagram with the thermostat in Group 7 (cooling), it will have a number pointing at it. That's the Group number. You then have to find the Group number listing that breaks down the thermostats by application (all thermostats will have the same Group number). Once you learn how to use the parts catalogs, they're an invaluable resource, so spend some time familiarizing yourself with it.

The thermostats (and hence their numbers) are the same between B/RB (big block) and LA (small block) engines through 1977. The only differences are the temperatures. In '78, the LA engines switched to a smaller-diameter thermostat--the same one as a Chevrolet small-block.

Mike Christman

Reaction score
One of the things that has surprised me the most about the Barracuda as I learn about them, is that the twin bulge hoods aren't functional. They look cool, but they don't do anything to add air flow to the engine compartment. In my opinion, it's useless to have something on a car that is supposed to be performance-oriented, but ends being ONLY for looks (kinda like the faux beadlock wheels on 4x4 trucks).

Here's my question. I'm sure at least one person out there in the world has cut out the scoops on these hoods to make them functional, but 1) is it common practice, and 2) does it hurt the resale price of the hood? I know it's my car and I can do what I want to it, but is it frowned upon when people do this? And I ask about the resale value of the hood, because ultimately I think I'd like to go with an AAR style hood. I just can't afford it at the moment.

As a temporary solution, I'd like to cut out the scoops to increase air flow in the engine compartment, mostly because I live in southern Arizona and summer (and 110+ degree temps) is quickly approaching. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Image borrowed from the web.

View attachment 81638
Very bad idea. First all,les wuld be to far back
One of the things that has surprised me the most about the Barracuda as I learn about them, is that the twin bulge hoods aren't functional. They look cool, but they don't do anything to add air flow to the engine compartment. In my opinion, it's useless to have something on a car that is supposed to be performance-oriented, but ends being ONLY for looks (kinda like the faux beadlock wheels on 4x4 trucks).

Here's my question. I'm sure at least one person out there in the world has cut out the scoops on these hoods to make them functional, but 1) is it common practice, and 2) does it hurt the resale price of the hood? I know it's my car and I can do what I want to it, but is it frowned upon when people do this? And I ask about the resale value of the hood, because ultimately I think I'd like to go with an AAR style hood. I just can't afford it at the moment.

As a temporary solution, I'd like to cut out the scoops to increase air flow in the engine compartment, mostly because I live in southern Arizona and summer (and 110+ degree temps) is quickly approaching. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Image borrowed from the web.

View attachment 81638
Very bad idea. I was going to do this until I got some info on it. First of all, the holes are to far back to force air into the carb. Second, you engine compartment would be dirty and water spots after every rain and wash job. Just my opinion.

SRKlegin

Reaction score
Keep or sell the OEM hood, and buy a fiberglas AAR or twinbulge repro hood. Dont' chop up something OEM that is only getting harder to find when someone else might be looking for your style hood. Buy a replacement new hood and have at it.
Yep...Like me... :)

Back