• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Duck Tail - Paint or Not?

Weldguy

Reaction score
My Duck Tail spoiler (plastic, not fiberglass) arrived this week. What are most doing as for paint?
Leave it unpainted or paint (maybe satin black)?

Xcudame

Reaction score
How the factory did it in the photos below. I'd try to reproduce what the factory did whether or not it's original.

IMG_20240505_140339062.jpg

IMG_20240505_140331851.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
It surprised me as well when I saw one years ago at a car show. Kinda makes sense though.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Look closely at the engineering drawing for the T/A Challenger decals & blackout paint. The quarter panel (Circled Item 5 and detail circle X) has a black decal, not paint. The decklid (Circled Item 6) has blackout paint. The painted decklid was not a full blackout under the spoiler. It was only to ensure that no body color showed between the spoiler and the moulding.
With all due respect to Dave Wise of MMC Detroit, the statement saying "The Dodge Challenger T/A's should have a black out patch below the rear spoiler on the top of each quarter panel. The blackout patch was never available or applied by the factory." is contradictory.
All T/A's have the blackout tape decal on the top of the quarter panel.

Also, the center photo showing blackout paint on the quarter may have only appeared on a very few T/A's when the supply of quarter decals dried up on the assembly line. Painting this area could possibly have been a stopgap measure to get the cars out the door.

Note the second engineering drawing below refers to "FOR PAINT & TAPE APPLICATION SEE PAGE 37.0".

TA Stripes and Spoiler Blackout - Decal.JPG

4950071-blackoutlayout.jpg
spoilertadecal.JPG

Mr Norms TA Qtr Decal LEFT.jpg

Last edited:
Back