• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

E body 3 point seat belts

BSG

Reaction score
I've looked through some prior posts but really didn't find but one guy comment on the subject. I've never liked the look of the shoulder harness on these cars the little bracket that holds the belt when not in use etc.. As we all know these cars have little or no bolster in the front seats. With the exception of the front suspension I've really tried to keep this Challengers spirit of the 60's and 70's true. Before i search and buy some with a gm logo or originals that really don't function, I would like to hear from some guys who have or have installed the 3 point oe belt setup and anyone that has installed and used the 3 point retracable belts that have the gm style buckles. My car is setup for autocross and canyon carving and I would like to stay planted and in the car should I pull a "Kevin Hart". Any and all input would be appreciated, anyone that has a functional set that would like to convert lmk as well.

Thank you!
#Bonerhaulin

BSG

Reaction score
I haven’t installed them yet, but I got a set of these. I feel the same way about the shoulder harness and find myself not using it. Stupid, right? I can install them this week if you want an honest opinion on them.

1971-74 Plymouth Seat Belts - 3 Point Conversion - Bucket Seats - Starburst Buckle
That would be great if they cinch you in good, keep u in place good that would work for when i do canyon cutting up in Malibu etc. I'm like you almost never wear them in any of my cars yes stupid. On top of that I run a pretty big Collision shop in LA and see it all day. I just expect all drivers to do the wrong thing, in my mind keeps me safe. Those challenger seats are flat. I even dropped of a clean lower i had laying around a few months ago at an upholstery shop to add some bolster. a month later he still didn't have it started so i picked back up guy says he can't find help no one wants to get in the business. thanks for taking the time!

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Wesco Performance has 3-Point Retractable Seat Belt kits that work with E-Bodies. XV Motorsports sold these a few years ago with their logos but does not offer them anymore.
The setup is easy to install. Use the 11" Bucket Seat End at the console area and the 8" Long Sash Guide at the original shoulder belt bolt at the headliner.
Less than $100 per seat.
Seat Belt Floor Mount.JPG
Seat Belt Floor Mount between Seat & Console.JPG
WESCO Seat Belt Retractor P3302356.jpg
Retractable Seat Belt Top Mount.JPG
P3302415 - Copy.jpg

Drivun

Reaction score
I bought the xv units and have been very satisfied using them over 2000 miled on each of several 7 day Power Tours. So the above guidance on Wesco is solid

themechanic

Reaction score
I swapped out the oe seat belts for custom ordered ones from Seatbelt Planet in my 70 Cuda. I ordered belts for 71-74 E body. Seatbelt Planet is 30 miles away from my house.

I chose the new style buckles with the red buttons since most people aren't familiar with the oe aircraft style Chrysler used. I special ordered the solid shaft buckles for the front seats as I don't like the plastic sleeves. I also swapped out the front seats for some by Corbeau with good bolsters and adjustable backs and headrests. I don't carve canyons but can assure you that this combination will definitely work for you.

IMG_20221218_165509038_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221218_165456067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221214_212321151_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220927_182833332.jpg

Last edited:

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I mounted the real under the carpet like the original lap belt because I couldn’t stand looking at that box hanging there, but it has to be a reel that will work without being level.

IMG_1622.jpeg

themechanic

Reaction score
I mounted the real under the carpet like the original lap belt because I couldn’t stand looking at that box hanging there, but it has to be a reel that will work without being level.

View attachment 116022
You should use the carpet for the 1970 model since it includes a hump to cover the reel. There's also a white molded plastic piece that goes between the reel and the carpet for a smooth transition.

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
You should use the carpet for the 1970 model since it includes a hump to cover the reel. There's also a white molded plastic piece that goes between the reel and the carpet for a smooth transition.
Yes. Exactly what I did, but you have to change the angle. The reel feeds upward instead of leaning forward, so a new slot had to be made. There are two belts exiting the floor now instead of one.

chally71e

Reaction score

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd pull a set from a newer junkyard car before I decided to run a random set online...
What is less random about seatbelts from a junkyard? They certainly won’t look like they go with an old car and you are using safety equipment from a junkyard.

chally71e

Reaction score
Well they manufactured millions of sets, which had to meet an initial testing spec. Pulling a set from a 1-5 year old car which are in good shape just seems safer to me. Versus hoping whatever company you buy them from actually does testing and is legit. I just don't take chances with seatbelts or seat bolts/mounts. But maybe I over think it...

Xcudame

Reaction score
One thing to consider regarding junk yard seatbelts is: was the car in a collision and was the driver wearing the seatbelt? That would put excessive strain on the seatbelt tensioner (if it has one). Certainly something to check over and make sure it's still functioning properly. Safety is everyone's number one priority!

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Well they manufactured millions of sets, which had to meet an initial testing spec. Pulling a set from a 1-5 year old car which are in good shape just seems safer to me. Versus hoping whatever company you buy them from actually does testing and is legit. I just don't take chances with seatbelts or seat bolts/mounts. But maybe I over think it...
Great point. Obviously OEM manufacturers know what they are doing. My concern is once they are in the junkyard we don’t know what has happened to them during their time in the car and there is no liability on the part of the producer at that point. Though, I once saw a 1970 Challenger that somehow they out the entire interior of a new Challenger into the 1970.

The companies producing aftermarket belts seem to be legitimate. The one I dealt produces belts in the US and does extensive testing. I used to live at the junkyard when I was 19, but I’ve reached the point where I only buy new parts.

It seems crazy, but as I get older, I worry about the safety of a car I’ve driven for over 40 years and at one time was my daily driver. My new Challenger has crumple zones and air bags all around. The E body had groundbreaking safety features for its time, but certainly not compared to a modern car. That’s why I added disc brakes and shoulder belts.

I love to watch the shows on Motortrend where they customize cars, but I am always amazed that they put high horsepower engines in the car, then they cut down the high back bucket seats and they almost never have seatbelts.

We can’t make them as safe as a new car, but I add as much as I can, and of course it has to look like it’s original. If I’m in an accident, I don’t bounce like I used to.

Last edited:

chally71e

Reaction score
Yes, very good point. I guess one would just have to evaluate condition to say. Anything that looks like a big collision, probably pass on.

heminut

Reaction score
The aftermarket seatbelt manufacturers are held to the same standards as the belts being put in the new cars.

themechanic

Reaction score
Better to buy a set designed for the car. The cost is not much. How much is your life worth?

Mine are made about 30 miles from me and are great quality. The company is excellent to deal with and have terrific customer service.

Seatbelt Planet in Edmond, OK.

heminut

Reaction score
Better to buy a set designed for the car. The cost is not much. How much is your life worth?

Mine are made about 30 miles from me and are great quality. The company is excellent to deal with and have terrific customer service.

Seatbelt Planet in Edmond, OK.
Same place I got mine. Great products!

Back