• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

EEC Fuel Tank replacement?

challenged72

Reaction score
I have a 72' Challenger with EEC (evaporation control system) and the four lines out of the front of the gas tank for the EEC system, the tank may get replaced can I simplify and remove the extra plumbing?
eh

Last edited:

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I forget what eec stands for. I assume you mean "that thing"attached to the tank with the 4 hoses on it. Btw thats a technical term for those of you who don`t know what to call something. :D

You will need to vent the tank somehow if you only cap the 4 lines coming out of the tank. If "that thing" isn`t working properly you get a huge rush of vapor when you remove the gas cap,vapor lock and stalling can also occur without the tank properly vented. I`m not sure if all you would need is a vented gas cap maybe others here can give you some more info on your question.
If you have "that thing" and the valve inside it is seized up a good soaking for a couple of days in evap-o-rust may free it up that worked for me.

challenged72

Reaction score
My question is can I install a gastank with out the vapor liquid separator (that thing), and a vented gascap? Simplify the fuel tank system and lose all the extra hoses and charcoal canister & signal vacuum control valve? has anyone done this in the past?
eh

Bill

Reaction score
I need this question answered as well. I would like to gt the lines run before I get the car off the rotisserie but don't know what to do. I have the vapor separator but don't know where the single hose goes that comes off of it. The four hoses are obvious where they go onto the tank. Would love to be able to eliminate the whole system if possible. I have been researching this for weeks and have found no real specific answer on what to do.

Bill

Reaction score
Anyone??? I can't believe that everyones 40 year old e-body is still using the old vapor liquid separator. Can I tee all 4 lines together and just run them up into a charcoal canister to help eliminate a gas smell?

What have you done?... Anyone?:happy3:

Bill

Reaction score
Still looking for answer. Lots of explanations on how system works but no real answers on what may have worked for someone??? My vapor-liquid separator looks like Swiss Cheese with all the rust holes in it and I only ran one fuel line up to the front of the car.
Will a vented gas cap take care of everything?? I will have the car parked in the garage under my mom's apartment.
Any help would be great!

Adam

Reaction score
fuel return line.

I use a small filter at my aftermarket tank; it is plumbed into a small fitting for a vent tube, or fuel return line. I have not had any problems or gasoline smells in my garage. Perhaps a check valve could be plumbed in if vapors are a concern. My set up was intended to be temporary as I want to upgrade to Fuel injection. These systems use very high fuel pressure a need a return line to the tank. If you are considering F/I or want a stock look I would run the second line to the eng compartment.

Still looking for answer. Lots of explanations on how system works but no real answers on what may have worked for someone??? My vapor-liquid separator looks like Swiss Cheese with all the rust holes in it and I only ran one fuel line up to the front of the car.
Will a vented gas cap take care of everything?? I will have the car parked in the garage under my mom's apartment.
Any help would be great!

Bill

Reaction score
I use a small filter at my aftermarket tank; it is plumbed into a small fitting for a vent tube, or fuel return line. I have not had any problems or gasoline smells in my garage. Perhaps a check valve could be plumbed in if vapors are a concern. My set up was intended to be temporary as I want to upgrade to Fuel injection. These systems use very high fuel pressure a need a return line to the tank. If you are considering F/I or want a stock look I would run the second line to the eng compartment.

Thanks for the info Adam!!

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Challenged and Bill,
I know this is a bit old but just came across this thread.

I too would like to know if just omitting "the thing" is ok.
My current fix to eliminate the canister for the added engine bay room was to move the 1/4 inch line out into my wheel well with a 180deg bend on the end of hard line to keep the splash out and a fuel filter on it to keep debris out.

Eventually I will be replacing tank and installing an internal pump but will still have a "breather" line.
I believe that the vented caps only vent one way. Like a check valve. They allow air to be sucked in as fuel is being used but seals when vacuum is not present. I expect they also remain sealed even if fuel and vapor expand and pressurize due to temperature variations.

So...
IMOP a vent to atmosphere is still warranted with or without "the thing".

I will update this again if in further research I find out more definitive info.
Mike.

Last edited:
Back