• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel tank question

Marlon L

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be installing an inbtank fuel pump to run EFI. Can anyone tell me what this canister assembly is at the back of the tank and will I need to use it with an in tank pump?

Thank you.

IMG_20231110_150209.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Fuel vapor cannister.
If you are going for a new, EFI designed fuel tank,( which is recommended) parts like these are valuable to restorers as they don't make them anymore and most are very rusty.
Complete new tank with internal fuel pump runs between $600- $700.
Just a stock tank conversion runs about $400. And that is with using your old tank.

Last edited:

Marlon L

Reaction score
Thank you. I certainly won't throw it out if I don't use it going forward. I have ordered a FiTech EFI kit with an in tank pump so I plan to use the original tank.

moparleo

Reaction score
I would go with a new one.
50 years old, you are never sure what condition the inside is.
Replace all fuel hardlines as well. Braided flex lines and F.I. rated clamps. Steel fuel filters.
Some EFI systems use a return line and some don't. Make sure which system your conversion calls for.

Marlon L

Reaction score
The tank is actually insanely clean inside.....I was absolutely shocked as I'm positive that it has never been previously removed. I was expecting to have to clean and coat it but it literally looks like new inside an very solid on the outside. A friend of mine who has been a mechanic for 45 years has installed a few of the Fitech EFI systems and will give me a hand. He has had good luck with Fitech despite a few bad reviews I have read.

Xcudame

Reaction score
You might be able to sell your original tank with the vapor hardware for the same as a new EFI tank! Something to think about!

Marlon L

Reaction score
Thank you for your input guys. I may list the tank for sale for a few weeks and see what happens.

Bigblue73

Reaction score
100% in backing the Tanks Inc. unit for switching to EFI. The quality is excellent and fitment is spot on. One question you need to ask yourself in regards to converting is the venting of the tank and post tank filtration to protect the EFI unit. For the venting, I went with a II Much products vent canister that is also a charcoal filter to eliminate any gas fume smell. For the filtration I used an LS1 filter/regulator and ran only one line to the front for the EFI. I elected to go returnless and have not had a problem. I only have about 2000 miles on my set-up but I am very happy with the performance. I'll post photos of the venting set-up when I get to my computer.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Agree with @Bigblue73, filtration is critical. I am running the Terminator X Stealth EFI and chose the Aeromotive SS Series Canister-Style Fuel Filter 12317. The 12317 comes with the 10 micron filter. My Holley Pro Billet regulator is firewall-mounted. The factory 3/8" steel line is repurposed as a return line.

I also installed a fuel pressure transducer from Holley in the fuel line to monitor pressure on the handheld EFI display.

Aeromotive 10 Micron Filter Right Rear Framerail.jpg
Fuel Line Routing (1).JPG
Aeromotive SS 10 MICRON Fuel Filter_aei-12608.jpg
Aeromotive SS 100MICRON Fuel Filter_aei-12319.jpg
My Fuel System.jpg
Bypass Regulator, Gauge, and Fuel Pressure Transducer.jpg
Solid 60 psi with Holley Transducer.jpg

Last edited:
Back