• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Vapor Bulkhead

NoGM4me

Reaction score
I’m starting restore on my 71 Challenger. I’m doing the fuel tank and lines first so I can start the engine. I didn’t want to start it with a gas can. My question is about the vapor bulkhead in the trunk. The original one is all rusted out. Is there an OE replacement for it or do I have to buy the flat Bulkhead that has the two grommet holes? Also, my original bulkhead has five vacuum lines going into it. Three 5/16 inch two 1/4 inch. So how do all five of those fit into the two holes on the replacement bulkhead? Is there a canister?

IMG_7862.jpeg

Steve340

Reaction score
The factory called it the "Fuel Tank Vapor Saver System."
The part you have pictured is called the Vapor-Liquid separator.
In the 1971 factory service manual in the Fuel System section there are drawings and explanation of how it works.
The factory system works very well.
As far as I know the separator is not reproduced but they have come on the forum second hand.
Perhaps a wanted AD. But beware of scammers they target the wanted ads.
If you deal with well known embers you will be OK.

Steve340

Reaction score
A part that may be missing on your car is the vapor line shield that goes behind the passengers rear wheel well.
Mega Parts has them for $45.
Depending on what engine you had there will be 2 or 3 lines running forward to the engine bay.

NoGM4me

Reaction score
There is 2. The main gas line and the vapor line from the valve cover to the vapor-liquid separator.

NoGM4me

Reaction score
A part that may be missing on your car is the vapor line shield that goes behind the passengers rear wheel well.
Mega Parts has them for $45.
Depending on what engine you had there will be 2 or 3 lines running forward to the engine bay.
I didn’t find them on their website. All I found was the standard 2 hole fuel line vapor bulkhead and a block off. I’ll keep looking. My problem still remains. What do I do with 5 vapor lines and the bulkhead has 2 holes? Thanks for the info.

Steve340

Reaction score
The bottom of the vapor-liquid separator has an oval plate on it that attaches directly to the trunk floor.
The vent pipes are then all under the car.
Your one in the picture is all rotted away.
Find a good second hand one.
The plate at Mega Parts attaches under the car and is to protect the vent lines from damage.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The bottom of the vapor-liquid separator has an oval plate on it that attaches directly to the trunk floor.
The vent pipes are then all under the car.
Your one in the picture is all rotted away.
Find a good second hand one.
The plate at Mega Parts attaches under the car and is to protect the vent lines from damage.

100_2291.1.jpg

Back