• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric fan controller advice wanted.

thestuntboy

Reaction score
I tried my Electric fans on the Cuda yesterday. I watched the temp come up, thermostat opened, then when the temp came up again, smoke came out behind the fans with no activation. I of course shut the car down immediately and when cooled checked the wiring for the 100th time and still correct for install. The only thing was during troubleshooting when I jumped power to the sensor wire ( Which should be a activated ground ) the fans kicked on with no strain, noise or hiccups of any kind. I can just run a on/off switch but not a fan of that route for a street car. The old controller had worked fine but I can't remember or tell what brand , type it is and being 17 years old trust is hard to come by. Can anyone recommend a solid fan controller or tell me what dumbass thing I might have done to fix the current one?

fasjac

Reaction score
I use a controller from Entropy on my dual fan set up. Dip switches set to n two different temps so only one fan kicks on and off at once.
It’s worked real well for me.

thestuntboy

Reaction score
I use a controller from Entropy on my dual fan set up. Dip switches set to n two different temps so only one fan kicks on and off at once.
It’s worked real well for me.
I like the heavier gage wire and I wonder if the sensor could be the problem. Thanks for the info that's what I am looking for.

fasjac

Reaction score
I like the heavier gage wire and I wonder if the sensor could be the problem. Thanks for the info that's what I am looking for.
Absolutely could be. Yea, this unit has very heavy gauge wire.
Mine uses GM style sensor.

Last edited:

sixpactogo

Reaction score
For my money, I like the controller that Darryl at Auto Cool Guy makes. I have two Spahl fans on my Charger that I couldn't stand the roar when they came on.
I bought a HF-125 controller from Darryl and I was able to get rid of the relays that I had running them. This controller monitors the temps much better and starts the fans on low speed about 15-20 degrees before the 180 degree thermostat opens, then ramp up or down as needed. Very much the same as all the new cars work.
Give him a call at Auto Cool Guy. 562 367 3225. He is a nice guy and very knowledgeable. He builds these controllers himself.

thestuntboy

Reaction score
For my money, I like the controller that Darryl at Auto Cool Guy makes. I have two Spahl fans on my Charger that I couldn't stand the roar when they came on.
I bought a HF-125 controller from Darryl and I was able to get rid of the relays that I had running them. This controller monitors the temps much better and starts the fans on low speed about 15-20 degrees before the 180 degree thermostat opens, then ramp up or down as needed. Very much the same as all the new cars work.
Give him a call at Auto Cool Guy. 562 367 3225. He is a nice guy and very knowledgeable. He builds these controllers himself.
Thank you . I will certainly look into them.

Drivun

Reaction score
using Dakota digital controller on 72 Challenger and 83 Capri to run dual Contour fans in each. 3 power tours , 6000 miles in extreme heat and traffic. Flawless with lots of setting options

Back