• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric fuel pump

Ddog1775

Reaction score
Hey guys,
so my car runs like garbage and takes for ever to start. I've been reading up on and wanting to switch to a electric fuel pump and remove the mechanical. I bought the car a year ago and was told it has about 700hp. The engine is a 440 6 pack that was made into a monster 496! So all in all it seems like it's not getting enough fuel. What would be a good set up, pump and what psi would I need?

moparleo

Reaction score
I 've been going over your back threads, You said you bought the car a year ago and I see that you had a rear main seal leak, wanted to change the rear end, etc... How long have you actually driven this car ? Was is together and running when you bought it ? You were told it has 700 hp ? It has a 3 carb sixpack set-up ? progressive or mechanical ? Cam, heads ? What type trans, rear end gearing ? Was this a street or strip car when you bought it ? There are so many variables, to ask what would be the right pump, fuel pressure ? Any body's answer here would just be a guess. In order to diagnose any type of problem, automotive or other wise requires information. Say you went to the doctor and just told him that you are sick. Do you think he has enough info to properly diagnose your problem and be able to give prescribe the proper medications and health instructions ? Must be getting old, or just getting tired of all the crystal ball diagnostics that I am seeing more of lately. Nothing against you personally. Just try to use some common sense. We need more information when you want advice. We need the whole story, and facts. If you don't know what you have then the first thing to do is research what you have. This is why auto motive garages charge so much money to diagnose problems. I would recommend that you take your car to a shop that will specialize in your cars type of set-up. Preferably has a dyno and the most important thing " The Knowledge " to know how to use it. Some things just require experience. 2 + 2 might equal 4, but more importantly is why does 2 + 2 equal 4. If you don't know why, then you aren't learning, only memorizing.

Ddog1775

Reaction score
Sorry about not having all the info. I am at work right now and don't have all the paper work in front of me. I've only driven the damn thing, maybe 5 times in my neighbour hood! When I bought the car I was given a inch thick folder with everything that's been done to the car but also was fed a little BS about it. Just alone there is about $15,000 in the motor. I know the car had a Kessler 5 speed with 4.10s but now it has a 3 speed auto, coan trans and 3.23s out back. I would have to get back to you on everything else.

moparleo

Reaction score
You don't have to get back to me. Go over the info you have to your self over and over . the more times that you read something, the more of it that you will remember. Remember that just because someone spends a lot of money on something, doesn't always mean that it was spent correctly. Everything has to work together as a unit, like a team. Everybody has to know and do their job together. Fuel system, intake manifold, carbs , cylinder heads, exhaust, ignition system all have to be chosen to complement each other. Just one thing out of synch and the whole thing will not work efficiently. You have to have a goal. Otherwise you will never know how to get there. Decide on how you really plan to use your car. Show piece ? Weekend cruiser ? weekend racer ? Once you decide on what you really want, you will know what direction and parts etc.. you will need to get there. That is the big advantage with modern, fuel injected, computer controlled performance cars. The computer is programed to certain specs for timing, fuel etc.. You can upgrade performance with just a reprogram. That is why you can have 707 HP from a Challenger Hellcat and still have a car that you can drive on the street or strip.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
If you are running carbs and go with a high performance fuel pump you should also run a fuel pressure regulator or the pump will push fuel past the needle and seat causing a permanent rich condition and you will never be able to tune it properly.

I had a new high volume mechanical pump (Carter) that was supposed to put out 7 1/2 psi. After all kinds of problems, swapping carbs, etc., I put a pressure gauge in the line and it showed 11 psi, at Idle!
I plumbed in a regulator and problem solved. Live and learn.

sdntive

Reaction score
There are several good aftermarket electric fuel pumps and for sure run a regulator. But what type of pump, an inline or in tank? Is your fuel tank original? Maybe there is dirt in the tank. What size fuel lines are you running? What type of fuel are you running? Are the carbs adjusted correctly? Just a few questions to start the diagnosis.

Ddog1775

Reaction score
I would be looking to do a inline pump. I'm running stock fuel lines with the original fuel tank and carbs with 112 octane. I don't think the tank or fuel is dirty, filter is clean. I personally have not touched the carbs since I had the car. Compression is 13:1 if anyone was wondering!

moparleo

Reaction score
Car is definitely not for the street. Better run race gas ( 13:1 ) and aluminum heads. If it has a big cam to go with the rest of the package, it will never run good at lower, street rpm's. Its power band may be only 3,000 rpm's +.

sdntive

Reaction score
Magnafuel also has inline pumps. Just dont forget to add a return line to the tank.

Back