• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric pusher fan

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Good day, all, I'm looking for an electric pusher fan to sit in frt of my 22 inch radiator, the one I thought would work from Amazon is to "thick" hits the hood latch support on my 71 cuda, anyone have a pt # they used on their build, much appreciated ! Thanks.

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Ya I didn't want to hack the support up to fit a 26, I should of changed it but here I am I have the 7 blade solid mounted fan with a Griffin aluminum rad, I'm sure under hood heat will be too high for the 440- 6 pack so ill put a pusher on it, I really don't want but....

moparleo

Reaction score
The standard fan should be clutch mounted. I don't understand how a pusher will solve your problem. You know that what you need is the larger support and radiator, why risk a $$ motor?

CUDA71383

Reaction score
I'm just going to be pro active on the fan just looking for a pt# in case I need one, looks like your in California...I'm in Canada so everytime I get something from state side you have to add 30% plus brokerage fees its painfull up here! I'm not worried about the motor, I'm worried about boiling the fuel!!!! I do have a thermal clutch for my set up I'm in the testing mode this summer. Thanks!

cosgig

Reaction score
Let’s start with the basics…do you have your radiator support to hood seal in place? How about the lower splash pan to radiator support seal? And of course the hood to cowl seal? Without these seals in place, air can simply flow around the radiator instead of through it, it’s like sucking through a straw with a hole in it. The idea is to trap air in front of the radiator, the use a conical shaped shroud on the engine side with a clutch fan at least 1/3 of the way into the fan opening. This will create a vacuum on the radiator and pull the air through from the front. It all acts like a funnel, straightening the air and drawing it through. A pusher fan will effectively block this flow, like when you dump all the liquid into the funnel at once, as opposed to swirling the funnel a little bit and allowing the vacuum effect to do it’s job.

Now, if you are running a 440/6, you need to be running a 26” radiator, a 195 thermostat, factory shroud, clutch fan, and have all the seals in place. This will give you the best airflow, and keep the coolant in the radiator longer, and have the most radiator surface to help cool the coolant. Don’t fall for the notion that a “160 thermostat keeps the car running cooler” BS, that’s not true at all. A big block Mopar likes to run hot, and 195-210 is right in its wheelhouse. To me, you are throwing parts in your way of progress trying to push and pull air through a 22” radiator for a 6bbl application.

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Hi, ya I'm in the build phase just wanted a part # if anyone has put a fan in frt of the rad like I say I have the solid mount and clutch, ill find out when I run it this summer, thank for info though!

Drivun

Reaction score
The pusher could create more problems than it solves. I run a readily available/affordable $140 Ford contour dual fan with a Dakota controller. Contour comes with its own plastic shroud that’s easily modded for rad hose clearance. The central gap in the dual fan allows me clears the crank/water pump pulleys. Survives Hotlanta temps and 2 Power tour long hauls without issue. For fuel temp concerns I run a return line using a regulator the emission evap line.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I used to run a solid fan and have since switched to a clutch fan with a elect. pusher upfront. I find the electric pusher does a great job in bumper to bumper trafic or long idleing periods. My fiberglass hood does not touch my upper rad support at all (allmost a 2 inch gab). I would love a duel elect. Fan setup but their too expensive for me. My fan is from summit with a derail adjustable fan controller with manual over-ride. I would measure for height/width and get a fan with the most cfm. I battled with running hot for years and my current setup works. I have even used a engine oil cooler (also works great) but I have since removed it.

BSG

Reaction score
Factory fans have millions of $ of resources thrown at them to assure that they keep engines cool. I personally love the duel fan setup tgat comes off of the the late model challengers and chargers. With minimum grinding etc they fit almost perfectly on the stock 70-74 radiators I’ll try and get some pics to add later the best part is they can be used any way u want with a controller or without. They move air like you could not even imagine. I work in a body shop so I get damaged ones for free that’s kinda how I started but as we are forced by the insurance industry to buy the cheapest garbage out there to repair customers cars I’ve Seen my estimators buy these used for around $75 and I guarantee they are better, will last longer, then any of the aftermarket electric fans out there. Literally millions of dollars spent on R/D to protect those 20k engines available to you for $75 and less than an hr of your time.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Factory fans have millions of $ of resources thrown at them to assure that they keep engines cool. I personally love the duel fan setup tgat comes off of the the late model challengers and chargers. With minimum grinding etc they fit almost perfectly on the stock 70-74 radiators I’ll try and get some pics to add later the best part is they can be used any way u want with a controller or without. They move air like you could not even imagine. I work in a body shop so I get damaged ones for free that’s kinda how I started but as we are forced by the insurance industry to buy the cheapest garbage out there to repair customers cars I’ve Seen my estimators buy these used for around $75 and I guarantee they are better, will last longer, then any of the aftermarket electric fans out there. Literally millions of dollars spent on R/D to protect those 20k engines available to you for $75 and less than an hr of your time.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep a eye out on my local buy & sell

CUDA71383

Reaction score
The pusher could create more problems than it solves. I run a readily available/affordable $140 Ford contour dual fan with a Dakota controller. Contour comes with its own plastic shroud that’s easily modded for rad hose clearance. The central gap in the dual fan allows me clears the crank/water pump pulleys. Survives Hotlanta temps and 2 Power tour long hauls without issue. For fuel temp concerns I run a return line using a regulator the emission evap line.
Nice
I used to run a solid fan and have since switched to a clutch fan with a elect. pusher upfront. I find the electric pusher does a great job in bumper to bumper trafic or long idleing periods. My fiberglass hood does not touch my upper rad support at all (allmost a 2 inch gab). I would love a duel elect. Fan setup but their too expensive for me. My fan is from summit with a derail adjustable fan controller with manual over-ride. I would measure for height/width and get a fan with the most cfm. I battled with running hot for years and my current setup works. I have even used a engine oil cooler (also works great) but I have since removed it.
Good day your situation is the exact same as to what I'm thinking, when I get er on the road, do you have a pt # for your fan?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Nice

Good day your situation is the exact same as to what I'm thinking, when I get er on the road, do you have a pt # for your fan?

My notes say I have a 16” Electric fan SUM-381008-3 I just checked summit and it is not popping up. I would just get something in the 2000cfm range. Also for me, just the electric fan did not do the job, i am guessing due to the "extra gaps" I have so the air isn't forced thru the rad

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Thanks ill try and source that #, everyone has been awesome thanks!!

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Thanks ill try and source that #, everyone has been awesome thanks!!
Here is my fan

20230218_224949.jpg

CUDA71383

Reaction score
Once I get it on the road we will see but I know where to find all of the posts on this topic thanks again everyone!

Brads70

Reaction score
This is my set up, been on the car for over 10 years now, never overheats. Using a dakota digital fan controller to control both fans. Fan on rad comes on at 195, one in front comes on at 200. Works great never had an issue. Got them both from here years ago at Carlisle. Rainbow Products Online | Nationwide Distributor of Automotive A/C for older and newer model cars
I see now they have sold the fan part of their business
You WILL need a higher output alternator, stock one won't keep up.
Hope that helps!

20150620_172942.jpg

20160819_141921.jpg

20170710_205132.jpg

20170710_205447.jpg

20170710_205152.jpg

rad instal.jpg

20170722_202158.jpg

Last edited:
Back