• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric Window Regulator

Stellas_Dad

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Challenger Convertible. Is it possible replace the window motor and nylon gear without removing the window? If yes, how? In either case can anyone share instructions with or without pictures.
Thx

DetMatt1

Reaction score
possible? Yes but it’s easier to remove the assembly. The regulator needs to be loose in order to access the screws that attach it to the regulator anyway and the elevator part of the regulator needs to be clamped to the static part of the regulator before you remove the motor. If you don’t the spring loaded elevator arm could really cause some injury.

Stellas_Dad

Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like I am taking the door apart then. I will let you know how it works out

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I use a quick grip style clamp on the glass in the up position at the belt line to keep the glass out of your way while you work.

Stellas_Dad

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea of the clamp. So you are saying I can remove the regulator from the track on the lower edge of the glass without having to remove the glass from the door. Where is the "belt line"

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yes and the belt line is the top of the door.
you will have to remove one screw that holds the roller guide on the bottom of the glass so you can slide the roller on the elevator out of that guide. Usually the rear screw so you move the whole assembly rearward to remove it from the door.

Last edited:

Stellas_Dad

Reaction score
Do regulators for electric windows has springs in them? My passenger window regulator does not.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’ll get some pics on Monday. I was going under the assumption that the spring would be the same across the model lines but I guess that might not be the case.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
manual and electric window springs are different according to another post on another site.
I've been looking for a picture of the difference's. Have not found one yet.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Below is an E body front regulator with the spring that looks identical to the 4 on the left in my pic below that. The 3 on the right in my pic have one less coil and I believe are C body rears although I have a few front regulator assemblies that are complete with the smaller spring. If you’re talking E body rear quarter windows those springs look like they have 2 or 3 fewer coils than these but I don’t have any of those.
1632141489126.png

1632144000767.jpeg

Stellas_Dad

Reaction score
Hello Matt:

You have a sale. You can send them cheapest way. Let me know the total. What is your Paypal or Venmo info?

Back