• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electronic ignition

Reaction score
I installed mopar electronic ignition in my cuda back in 1975,I've had problems off and on, hard starts, running poorly,etc. I've replaced the ecu at least a dozen times. I want to go to the 4pin ecu and 2pole resistor. The blue wire in the factory harness at the ballast has 12volts in the run position,but no voltage when turned to start. That's the wire the instructions said to use to supply the ecu. For ign 1. Shouldn't this wire have 12 volts constantly, run and crank.? The other wires at the ballast brown-blue go to the coil and have 12 volts in crank only. Anyone else had this problem? I did try an nos. ignition switch same results. Any ideas? Maybe a bosch relay? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for your help in advance

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
in the crank position the brown wire at the ballast feeding the coil should have 12v , if it doesn't the ign switch in the column may have a problem .

Reaction score
in the crank position the brown wire at the ballast feeding the coil should have 12v , if it doesn't the ign switch in the column may have a problem .

Yes the brown wire has 12 volts during crank. The blue wire which feeds the ecu has no voltage when cranking. I have a 86 w250 pickup that has 12 volts at the ballast feed at all times when the ign. Is on. How can the ecu work properly if the power supply is not constant?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
on a single wire ballast the power would back feed across the ballst to the blue wire feeding the ecu

Back