• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust manifolds on aluminum heads

don selleck

Reaction score
Just putting the final parts on a 340 thats going into my 70 cuda today, bolting up the exhaust manifolds to a new set of aluminum edelbrock heads, when I hear a pop, I look down and cracked my exhaust manifold on the drivers side, After a closer look it seams that the manifold was hitting the aluminum head on the back of it and would not allow it to flush out. F--K!!. so I guess its header time now or has anyone else had issues with the clearance. wondering if I can remove some of the aluminum head for clearance. if I can find another drivers manifold. and if not what headers are people running that fit the best in these cuda's. Thanks in advance!

20230809_123622.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
That bites , Eddy heads are not a great choice & probably interfered with sitting flush , yes you can grindthe head & manifold for clearance .
if you choose headers TTI , Dougs or Hooker 5115 are the only choice that stay about the steering centerlink

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
I agree, that sucks! Can the exhaust manifold be brazed or is it a really ugly crack?
Like Chryco mentioned, TTI, Doug's or Hooker 5115 fit the best and don't hang down too low. I like using Remflex graphite gaskets as well.

don selleck

Reaction score
Manifold is pretty bad plus it's an aar with correct exhaust so it looks like either find another manifold or plan on headers and customizing the exhaust which goes hand in hand with the headers

20230809_123541.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
I had to grind a bit of clearance in to the Edelbrock cylinder heads when I fitted the TTI shorty type headers to my 340 engine.
I suggest a trial fit next time - the heads have a fair bit more material along that bottom edge.

resronut

Reaction score
I bought Hedman 78506 shorty HTC headers and the same problem..two of the tubes hit the lower center head boss on the drivers side. Spoke to Hedman and they said they would get their production team to correct. After 5 weeks they sent me another set and they were exactly the same. I made a jig and pressed the tubes to elongate and relieve the area and now a perfect fit. I like these because they do not interfere with the steering, clutch or hang low. They are 1 5/8 into 2 1/2 collector. If you want to see I have the extra set on E Bay for sale ..brand new for less than 50%.

don selleck

Reaction score
Yes a tria
I had to grind a bit of clearance in to the Edelbrock cylinder heads when I fitted the TTI shorty type headers to my 340 engine.
I suggest a trial fit next time - the heads have a fair bit more material along that bottom edge.
Yes a trial fit will definitely be the first thing never crossed my mind should have known better

don selleck

Reaction score
I bought Hedman 78506 shorty HTC headers and the same problem..two of the tubes hit the lower center head boss on the drivers side. Spoke to Hedman and they said they would get their production team to correct. After 5 weeks they sent me another set and they were exactly the same. I made a jig and pressed the tubes to elongate and relieve the area and now a perfect fit. I like these because they do not interfere with the steering, clutch or hang low. They are 1 5/8 into 2 1/2 collector. If you want to see I have the extra set on E Bay for sale ..brand new for less than 50%.
After working on these cars with aftermarket parts pretty common I think I gonna start looking for another manifold and get the grinder out

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Ditto, I had to grind a bunch off the alum head at the bottom lip on the driver side to clear one of the header pipes.

Cudapile

Reaction score
Just putting the final parts on a 340 thats going into my 70 cuda today, bolting up the exhaust manifolds to a new set of aluminum edelbrock heads, when I hear a pop, I look down and cracked my exhaust manifold on the drivers side, After a closer look it seams that the manifold was hitting the aluminum head on the back of it and would not allow it to flush out. F--K!!. so I guess its header time now or has anyone else had issues with the clearance. wondering if I can remove some of the aluminum head for clearance. if I can find another drivers manifold. and if not what headers are people running that fit the best in these cuda's. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 110556
I know how that feels, I had the same problem recently. I welded mine back together and it’s holding up so far.
I didn’t do any preheating as it already 100+ in Texas these days. 🥵🥵🥵
I just ground a groove along the crack and MIG it good.
It’s worth a try while you’re looking for a replacement.

mebeblown

Reaction score
Cast iron welding can nearly be impossible on these exhaust Manifold's.
I've been welding for 59 years as a boilermaker and I even had an issue, in the cooling down process. Go on line and check out " wildcat auto wrecking in Sandy Oregon. They handle mopar Specifically and ship. I lived about 45 miles from them and the had in stock stock 69 HP cast iron headers, their inspected before selling to customers. My passenger side had a Crack so I replaced it through Wildcat. Set down before I tell you the cost....they wanted $350 each side, I haggle the down to $300.
But it was Pristine condition. I had tried 3 different sets of headers through out the years but speed bumps took the tole.Ive owned my pro street 73 Challenger now
47 years with a Blown 671 340 ci motor. Love it!! Good Luck.

159.JPG

160~3.jpg

2021-10-21_23_25_5896.jpg

don selleck

Reaction score
Cast iron welding can nearly be impossible on these exhaust Manifold's.
I've been welding for 59 years as a boilermaker and I even had an issue, in the cooling down process. Go on line and check out " wildcat auto wrecking in Sandy Oregon. They handle mopar Specifically and ship. I lived about 45 miles from them and the had in stock stock 69 HP cast iron headers, their inspected before selling to customers. My passenger side had a Crack so I replaced it through Wildcat. Set down before I tell you the cost....they wanted $350 each side, I haggle the down to $300.
But it was Pristine condition. I had tried 3 different sets of headers through out the years but speed bumps took the tole.Ive owned my pro street 73 Challenger now
47 years with a Blown 671 340 ci motor. Love it!! Good Luck.

View attachment 110655

View attachment 110656

View attachment 110658
wow bet it takes a minute to polish the chrome on that sweetheart. work of art.

Last edited:

don selleck

Reaction score
well found the first one woman wanted 750 would not come down at all so searched for about 2 hours was coming to the end of the swap meet about 6 to go found a pair guy wanted 850 for the set. walked to the second to last space there it was guy asking 350 offer 300 took it and ran, was sweating it for a bit. got home blasted it acid and nikel phosphate dip dried it and painted ready to install tomorrow. Grandson will be here in the morning should have the motor and trans install no problem, just have a little cleaning up underneath and ship it. ground the aluminum head away last night a good fat quarter inch was taken
IMG_20230812_124028_01.jpg
20230812_182857.jpg
20230811_142152.jpg
at its deepest point. Sits just flush with no binding without a gasket.

Back