• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exterior Door Handle Removal

money pit

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the exterior door handles before I get the car painted. I want to either replace the door handles (with after market) or get the originals re-chromed. It seems like the linkage for the lock is preventing me from removing the handle. I tried manuvering the linkage around to remove it but no luck. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
The linkage has a clip at each end, look or feel around for it. The clip should rotate off the rod allowing the rod to come out. They are plastic and probably brittle with age, but available at any auto parts store.

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score

70chall440

Reaction score
There is a clip at the bottom of that rod, you need to remove that then the rod will pop out of the latch. At that point you can rotate/manipulate the rod out of the lock and then remove the handle.

money pit

Reaction score
There is a clip at the bottom of that rod, you need to remove that then the rod will pop out of the latch. At that point you can rotate/manipulate the rod out of the lock and then remove the handle.
Thanks. I’ll use a mirror to see if I can see the back side of the linkage and the clip.

fasjac

Reaction score
Paint as much as you can with trim, handles, lights etc removed from the car. No need to tape around things if you’re able to get em off. Much cleaner finished job. JMO

olatep

Reaction score
You just need to pull on that lock linkage rod and it will release from the door. Pull towards the front of the vehicle. It's just a press fit in a plastic bushing. I had to pull pretty hard on mine the first time I removed it.

Back