• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

External oil pickup questions

bullet18

Reaction score
Im going to a external oil pickup because im sick off bending the stock ones when i take them out plus im pretty sure my crank will hit it anyway. Is the plug on the back of the oil pump cover for an external pickup or do i need a different cover?

dolphin3111

Reaction score
That is not a plug. It's a cover for the oil pump's internal pressure regulator. There is a spring and a plunger underneath. When you buy the Milodon external pickup kit (without pump), it will have the necessary adapters to connect the suction line(s) to your pump.

I would use the Melling M-63HV pump. It has 25% more volume and hook the Milodon line kit up to it. This Melling pump looks the sames as OEM except it's a little thicker (longer rotors).

FYI, Milodon makes an externally adjustable pressure regulator for the OEM or Melling oil pump that works really nice to keep from over-pressuring at high rpm.

Milodon Chrysler Oil Oil Pressure Regulator.jpg

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Also, just heads up. Be sure to keep your external lines with the center up higher than the pump to always help keep the oil system primed. I also had to wrap my lines with heat wrap due to how close they are to the headers.

20160414_201129.jpg

20160429_111251.jpg

PureGTS

Reaction score
Something else to think about: external line don't like start up. They typically run with no to low oil pressure on start up for a few seconds. I've tried the 'put a curve in the line(s) to trap oil next to the pump' with no luck. I've reached the point where I'm working on an electric priming pump to pre-charge the system. Mind you this a is a single -12 static line system with the Melling HV pump and Milidon plates. I've run a dual -12 line system with a KB ultra pump and got the same symptoms.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I also run a 3 qt accumulator on my car as well as a priming tool before initial fire up and in case of oil pressure loss on a pass.

PureGTS

Reaction score
I designed a shutdown system that works off of the oil pressure idiot light switch to kill the car's ignition and, more importantly in the case of a wreck or roll over, the electric fuel pump. Bad enough to wreck the car don't want to wake up in the burn unit too. (see pic)
Lost an engine to a backed off rocker shaft bolt that dropped the push rod and ejected a lifter. End result; no oil pressure making 7000 RPM shifts, poor thing developed a rod knock.

shutdownsystem.jpg

Back