• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fast steering- 70 T/A

VillaTA

Reaction score
My TA has super touchy steering, and my front tires will rub the frame at full clock. The steering box is not a TA box, with casting #2267262. R5 3190. I think this makes it a B Body steering boxMy Pittman arm is the proforged 103-10031 fast ratio model. I am not used to the speed of the steering, especially over 50 mph. I also need an alignment, as I have some wandering to correct also. My question is - is there a way to get the steering to be less quick? Would changing the Pittman arm correct this or help? Is there a way to stop the tires hitting the frame without a rebuild?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Yes but first you need to get the car aligned to see what effect that has. "Fast ratio" steering usually involves the box, the pitman and the idler arm. From what you wrote your box is probably over pressurized (common Mopar deal) which is giving you the feeling you don't like. You can shim the valve in the box to reduce the pressure and get some road feel back (research the Mopar Action article/s that discuss this in detail).

You can also replace the box or have it rebuilt by someone like Firm Feel. I have 2 of their stage 3 boxes with FR pitman and idler arms and while the steering is precision it is not twitchy.

VillaTA

Reaction score
What I’m experiencing is that the wheel wants to dart if hit bumps, and generally just feels so loose. Sound like I may need to talk to firm feel. Any ideas on stopping the wheels from hitting the frame?

70chall440

Reaction score
If the tires are rubbing then I would say they are the wrong size. Now it may be possible to install some stops to keep them from rubbing but you will have a reduced turning radius.

VillaTA

Reaction score
Rear tires are 275/60/15. Front tires are 245/60/15. Perhaps the large tires are contributing to the quick steering too?

70chall440

Reaction score
How old are the tires? The larger size in front does contribute to how the car handles/behaves, but the right alignment can negate some of that. You really need to get a good alignment, ensure that the tires are in good repair and are inflated at the proper level and then see how it handles.