• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fender Tag Question

Mesmerized63

Reaction score
The J54 - Sport Hood was announced as available on the 1970 Barracuda (BH) models on November 25, 1969 which was two days before Thanksgiving Day (11/27/69). The sport hood and additional colors on the color-keyed racing mirrors became available on December 15, 1969.
The J54 - Sport Hood would likely have shown up for mid-December production.

The V6X stripe was announced on April 3, 1970 for May 1st production in a Barracuda (BH) model along with L34 - Road Lamps availability. Be aware that the V6X stripe which mandates an engine callout of "340", "383", "440", "440-6", or "HEMI" would have been limited to only the engines that could be optioned on a BH-coded Barracuda. That would be a 225 6-cylinder or a 383 2BBL/4BBL which were extra cost.
No 340, 440, 440-6, or HEMI engines could be ordered in a Barracuda (BH) as they were only available on the Cuda (BS) model.

Now we need to have anyone out there with a Barracuda (BH) respond with documentation showing their car was equipped with a standard 225 engine or optional 383 plus any of the below options:
J54 - Sport Hood (For BS & BH models and required J45 - Hood Pins in 1970); Very common on 318 Barracudas with no hood engine emblems but are there any 225-equipped Barracudas with an optional Sport Hood?
J81 - Spoiler, Rear (Pricing sheet below shows the J81 would be optional (E=Extra Cost) on the 383-4BBL only)
V6X - Hockeystick stripe (Black-only) with "383" callout.

View attachment 124037 View attachment 124038
View attachment 124039View attachment 124040
Really great information. Thanks for sharing this.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Not trying to muddy any waters. I think we all understand that a Fender tag, broadcast sheet and vin number reflects the build of the the car with all the options ordered or from a package of the era.
If all the parts on the car and can be deemed original by one or more than one owner. Or date of parts on the car. Someone would have to go through a lot of trouble to assemble the proper parts. For a run of the mill car. For a high value car I could see that happing.
That being said kind of getting to a point to understand. As we know to find a broadcast sheet anymore, never know. Or the dealer order sheet.
As I understand somethings. (If you know better please correct me.) It doesn't reflects but one thing. The actual build date that is on the the K frame. That is also on the Window sticker the actual date of k frame stamping. not the build date. Intended build date.
To find a window sticker I think would be less of a chance.
But wouldn't the window sticker being done last reflect everything on the broadcast sheet and the fender tag. Accordingly to the packages and codes of the era build.
How do you think this would look.
That being said a fender tag could be made from a window sticker and vise a versa. Both dates are on there.
The only thing that is not any document is the assembly line number.
So in any event no repro fender tag would be correct. If you have all the documents you would never get it correct. unless there was only one line at a time. So it doesn't matter if you have the documents or not.
1715903288583.jpeg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Zooming in on the fender tag in the original post, the tag is not original. There's something missing from it that is present on all original fender tags I've seen. And no, I'm not going to say what it is, but if you have a original fender tag, you should be able to figure it out on your own (please don't post it as it's one last we we can prove originality on the more rater cars).

Challenger RTA, I concur that the original window sticker is virtually the same as the fender tag. I also noticed that none of the newer Mopars have fender tags, but you can download a copy of the window sticker if you know the VIN. So the newer Challengers, Chargers and 300s are going to be very difficult to "cheat on options" going forward.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Not trying to muddy any waters. I think we all understand that a Fender tag, broadcast sheet and vin number reflects the build of the the car with all the options ordered or from a package of the era.
If all the parts on the car and can be deemed original by one or more than one owner. Or date of parts on the car. Someone would have to go through a lot of trouble to assemble the proper parts. For a run of the mill car. For a high value car I could see that happing.
That being said kind of getting to a point to understand. As we know to find a broadcast sheet anymore, never know. Or the dealer order sheet.
As I understand somethings. (If you know better please correct me.) It doesn't reflects but one thing. The actual build date that is on the the K frame. That is also on the Window sticker the actual date of k frame stamping. not the build date. Intended build date.
To find a window sticker I think would be less of a chance.
But wouldn't the window sticker being done last reflect everything on the broadcast sheet and the fender tag. Accordingly to the packages and codes of the era build.
How do you think this would look.
That being said a fender tag could be made from a window sticker and vise a versa. Both dates are on there.
The only thing that is not any document is the assembly line number.
So in any event no repro fender tag would be correct. If you have all the documents you would never get it correct. unless there was only one line at a time. So it doesn't matter if you have the documents or not. View attachment 124063
You can make a reproduction tag that is almost entirely correct if you have the Broadcast Sheet. It is not easy to select the correct codes because the period of time that the car was assembled has a great deal to do with getting the proper fender tag codes on the tag. The Vehicle Order Number (VON) is on the Broadcast Sheet (BS) and the Window Sticker (WS) but unfortunately not everyone has their original BC and/or WS.

@Challenger RTA is correct about the "assembly line number" remaining undetermined. This code ends up being the last code on the fender tag. There is no way to know which assembly line "number" code (EN1 or END only for 1970 Hamtramck E-Bodies) was on your original fender tag unless you have it. Guessing based on the VIN's Sequential Number using fender tags close to your VIN does not guarantee you got it right.

Maybe 6bblgt can assist with how this might be determined. He has info on what was "in process" and when for a lot of cars.

E-BODY window sticker details.jpg
1 Fender Tag Guide.jpg
242332_BS23R0B Broadcast Sheet 1.jpg

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thank you MoparCarGuy For informed response. "You can make a reproduction tag that is almost entirely correct if you have the Broadcast Sheet." 100% if you have the original fender tag. That confirms what I understand and don't know all. I like seeing as Cudahunter, and probably others like observing the information about these cars. ( 🗨️I'm wondering if their is something wrong with me or maybe others. 💭 Nope were just curious and like to see things correct. ) Once again thanks this may help other to make informed dissensions on what there looking for.

Back