• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fender Tag & Window Sticker

Snakedoctor

Reaction score
Having bought my Cuda last week I've been really wanting to get the lowdown on the original dealer. No luck yet but I don't quit. Secondly, I don't have a fender tag. I'd like to have a duplicate one made with the exact options my car has. I'm not looking to "clone" a 440 or Hemi car. It's a less desirable 318 car non A/C, 4 speed. So I really want a fender tag and duplicate window sticker. I'm kind of doubtful there's a broadcast sheet in the car but I suppose it's possible. The car has been gone through so I am hesitant to believe it's still sitting in there somewhere. Can I get some good advice on where to go to get duplicates of the items listed above? I know it's not super cool to most people. But it's super cool to me. So I want to recreate the car as it was from day 1.

moparlee

Reaction score
Others will chime in, but I am pretty sure that if you don't have a fender tag or a broadcast sheet you are not going to be able to get anything duplicated.

moparleo

Reaction score
How can you duplicate what you don't have ? There is no library that has your exact cars information to call.
The vin tag tells you make, model, body style, engine, date, plant, sequential production number.
Beyond that, with out a build sheet/fender tag there is no other documentation to tell you what it was built with.
Common areas for build sheets. Under carpet, behind/above glove box, behind/under seats, sometimes found in other places. Just wherever the guy stuffed it on the assembly line.

57fury440

Reaction score
You need either a broadcast sheet or a fender tag. Without them all you know about the car is what the V.I.N. tells you. The '72 I purchased new had a broadcast sheet under the front and rear seats. The '74 my son bought in '95 had one under the rear seat. My friends '74 had one under the rug.

70chall440

Reaction score
Well I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" to some, but there are places that will make a tag without a BS. I am not naming names but I know for a fact that one of them will have you download a sheet that has all of the blocks on the tag depicted and you have to fill it out. They are very adamant that they are not responsible for what you put or how you put it.

Now I am sure some of you will get your hackles up and immediately scream that this is "wrong", "a sin" or even "illegal", however something to consider is this, unless you really know fender tags and the codes they are actually not all that easy to make "right". If it was on a big dollar car, any one of the "experts" will spot one right off because there is a bit of an art to what was put onto the tags and what wasn't. Most "amateur's" will put every code that they think their car came with making for a very full tag or even 2 tags. In fact each plant had a system wherein certain codes were not listed on the tags even though the option/item was on the car because it was a part of another group. However another plant might put codes on that are part of a group.

I know this is an emotional deal for many, but unfortunately it is not illegal but I will leave the moral judgements up to each individual. All this said, there are a lot of high dollar cars out there with repopped tags without broadcast sheets and other documentation.

69hemibeep

Reaction score
I think what they are saying is you can't make it right without a BS

jujuka

Reaction score
I never got a fender tag or build sheet with my convertible challenger in my avatar. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. Although I would probably have one made up to match the original if I could, if only to fill that empty space on top of the fender. The 2 empty screw holes look like I forgot something during my restoration. Heck I would even take a blank if could find one.

70chall440

Reaction score
That is correct, without the original tag or the BS you cannot make an accurate reproduction tag, but as is conveyed above most don't care if the tag is "dead nuts" accurate, they just want a tag in that spot because all of purists, collectors and "enthusiasts" have made such a big deal about them for years.

When I was kid playing with these cars (late 70's) I knew what the tag was but never gave it any mind because it didn't matter what it is said, what mattered was what the car had now. Nowadays though not having a tag is almost an embarrassment because people have made a big deal out of it.

There is this idea that if you can repop the tag you can increase the value of the car substantially and there is probably some truth to that, however what I have always said is "if it is on the tag and on the car correctly, then what's the problem?" The argument that comes up is that someone could take a 383 AT low option car and give it a 4 spd, shaker, spoilers, etc. and dramatically increase the value and that is true, however if all of that is on the car and done in a way that you cannot tell it wasn't stock, well then it should be worth more.

Again, this is a highly emotional deal for some to which I say "is what it is". Perhaps someone needs to start a company making vanity fender tags like the one floating around the net, but instead make it affordable and unique to the car/owner.... maybe that would make most happy.. "Bobs Bad Ass Challenger"... LOL

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Having bought my Cuda last week I've been really wanting to get the lowdown on the original dealer. No luck yet but I don't quit. Secondly, I don't have a fender tag. I'd like to have a duplicate one made with the exact options my car has. I'm not looking to "clone" a 440 or Hemi car. It's a less desirable 318 car non A/C, 4 speed. So I really want a fender tag and duplicate window sticker. I'm kind of doubtful there's a broadcast sheet in the car but I suppose it's possible. The car has been gone through so I am hesitant to believe it's still sitting in there somewhere. Can I get some good advice on where to go to get duplicates of the items listed above? I know it's not super cool to most people. But it's super cool to me. So I want to recreate the car as it was from day 1.
Tag my Classic, make up tags, check them out.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
There is one VON per vehicle assigned per day. Even if you have all the options correct on the tag, you need to the correct VON. You can guess. 1339 cars were built a day at just one plant. When someone has a library that has hundreds of tags, they can see if that VON has been used and from there know the tag isn't original. Once the tag is known to not be original, everything on the tag is not trusted.

57fury440

Reaction score
I don't think he is trying to fool anybody into thinking the tag is original. He just wants one so it looks correct.

MarkLevi

Reaction score
...each plant...certain codes... However another plant might...
This is the most difficult thing for accurate decoding. I have built a lot of information, but I am always looking for more. Do you, by chance, have any info or documentation you can share as to "who" did "what"?

Thanks
Mark

fk5aar

Reaction score
To the OP, I wouldn’t do it…….if you want a fender tag buy a car with a BS or fender tag or both

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I don't think he is trying to fool anybody into thinking the tag is original. He just wants one so it looks correct.
I agree. He could do one and leave the VON space blank. When asked he can say the tag was lost and I don't know. I just wanted a tag on the car.

Snakedoctor

Reaction score
This is the most difficult thing for accurate decoding. I have built a lot of information, but I am always looking for more. Do you, by chance, have any info or documentation you can share as to "who" did "what"?

Thanks
Mark
I don't have much information on the car unfortunately. I know what engine is in it. I can tell what options it has now. I know what engine it was born with. But his car had surgery and is a brand new car now. It isn't my goal to fabricate a lower optioned car to what it is now. I want it to be as close to it was when it was built. Here's an example. It presently has a 340, pistol grip 4 speed, A/C. I want to have a novelty build sheet made that says it is a 318 2bbl car, no A/C.

70chall440

Reaction score
Documentation on these cars is all over the place meaning that it is highly confusing (as most have discovered). Mopar did not generally do anything as "SOP" for very long from what I have seen. The minute you say this or that never happened someone will pop up with exactly that and documentation suggesting it was factory. Mopar would do just about anything if the customer was willing to pay and if the plant wouldn't the dealers would not to mention a very healthy parts department that would sell just about every piece of every car. The net result today is that there are many things that you can prove were on a car (or not) but there are more things that were possible. This is one of reasons so many of the purists are against making new fender tags, because someone could option out any car and if done well would be impossible to determine if it came that way.

However, as I have said many times if the options on the tag match what is physically present on the car then it is what it is. I completely recognize that if someone bought a car for big money and then found out later that a pile of options were added to a low optioned car that they would be pissed off, but this is where research and homework have to play a part in the effort. A buyer has to understand what he/she is looking for and understand some of the issues that may come with that. If you are spending big money on a 2-tag car it would be worth it to see if you can find previous owners, take a very hard look at the options and see if they make sense.

For the majority of people (like the OP) they just want a representative tag that matches what they have, nothing more and given the importance that so many have placed on these tags it is no wonder.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
You can always have a fake 3D plastic one made up. But I think the guy won’t do it unless you have the original tag. It’s just for car shows so nobody steals your original.

8D1FC56B-D2F2-4CA2-B88A-EA7E04044877.jpeg
735FEB33-A958-444C-BBB1-D751F609CD8C.jpeg
2C7A02E8-8F9A-42B3-BAF1-18A977AC4049.jpeg

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Do what you want with your car and stick this tag on it.

21A96C87-F7AC-4662-9FB6-BB13F42AEFEE.jpeg

Back