• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fender tag

speedyrt1

Reaction score
HEY ::Does any body repop fender tags ? do to Rust issues in very bad shape ,, same with the vin tag barely readable ,, so much rust that the upper cowl , a-pillars @ lower cowl need to be replaced T H A N K S....! ! !

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I had a tag made for a '71 Charger R/T a few years back by Marty Auto in AZ, iirc and I was very pleased with it. I had the build sheet but no fender tag for the car. I know there's another source but I don't remember off the top of my head, someone else will chime in I'm sure.
I have some of that sheet metal you need, hit me up if you're interested.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi, Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread, as it's exactly the question I want to ask. My 73 Rallye Challenger had the fender tag missing when I bought the car. Does anyone know of anyone reproducing fender tags for Mopars?

The other question is, can a tag even be made from just a VIN number? The broadcast sheet is too damaged to read much. Who would carry all the data for each vehicle made anyway (if any?). Or am I expecting too much? Since it's not a rare car like a 440-6 or Hemi or T/A etc

I think it's a worthwhile search, as this car is fairly collectible, at least here in Australia. As it's a factory black /black 340 Rallye 4-speed car.

I tried all the leads in this thread but they all seem to be doing Ford only. I have emailed the Data Tags (Backeast in Colorado) to see if they have any other contacts. Marti Auto Works in Arizona only do Ford / Lincoln / Mercury tags these days but I will call them up on Monday to see if they know of any places who can do Mopar.

Thought I would ask on this forum as well to see if anyone knows any more. Thanks.

Avalanche

Reaction score
The only way to know what options the car came with is from the build sheet or tag.
The vin has only limited info.
If you can get any info off your build sheet that would be the only way.
I thought data tags still did mopar tags though

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hi, Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread, as it's exactly the question I want to ask. My 73 Rallye Challenger had the fender tag missing when I bought the car. Does anyone know of anyone reproducing fender tags for Mopars?

The other question is, can a tag even be made from just a VIN number? The broadcast sheet is too damaged to read much. Who would carry all the data for each vehicle made anyway (if any?). Or am I expecting too much? Since it's not a rare car like a 440-6 or Hemi or T/A etc

I think it's a worthwhile search, as this car is fairly collectible, at least here in Australia. As it's a factory black /black 340 Rallye 4-speed car.

I tried all the leads in this thread but they all seem to be doing Ford only. I have emailed the Data Tags (Backeast in Colorado) to see if they have any other contacts. Marti Auto Works in Arizona only do Ford / Lincoln / Mercury tags these days but I will call them up on Monday to see if they know of any places who can do Mopar.

Thought I would ask on this forum as well to see if anyone knows any more. Thanks.
One thing is for sure, you won’t be able to get anything close to an accurate tag made for your car with the lack of info.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Thanks for replies, that's what I thought but hoping it wasn't that. I wonder if the factories kept records back in those days, but if they did it would probably have only been for ten years at the most. No computers in those days.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
On the contrary they did have computers back then, giant mainframe IBM’s that punched out a card for every car(among other things) but legend has it everything post 1967 went up in smoke.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
On the contrary they did have computers back then, giant mainframe IBM’s that punched out a card for every car(among other things) but legend has it everything post 1967 went up in smoke.
Interesting! Actually, I remember when reading Catch-22 that they even mentioned an IBM computer then - and that was set in 1943.

I got a reply back from Brett at DataTags in Colorado. He said he can't and maybe the only way would be if I had all the info. He said Chrysler has no info on the later E bodies. But I asked again to see if he can make one from all the info I know about this car which I have owned for 17 years and know the two previous owners as well. Am waiting on what he says in reply but I don't think he will be interested for just a 73.

I can see by the many tell-tale signs that it was factory black but I am not sure how to see if it had a factory vinyl roof originally. Should there be holes inside the C-pillar? Even if welded up, if previous owners wanted to take off the vinyl roof, I should be able to see evidence of holes where the stainless trim went.
Thanks for reading the long post...

Last edited:

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I"m surprised data tags won't just make you a tag.
Since you don't have the info, any tag they make will be easy to spot.
Is Data tags not in business for money? seems weird he won't do it.
maybe it's because your in another country and fraud is easier in other countries.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I"m surprised data tags won't just make you a tag.
Since you don't have the info, any tag they make will be easy to spot.
Is Data tags not in business for money? seems weird he won't do it.

Yeah true... Well the guy did not have what I would call professional courtesy or was warm or friendly so that was a little odd to a potential customer with cash to spend on his products. I got the impression I was being a pain in the A. Does he treat every inquiry like that? But at least I suppose the info could be called helpful. In response to my second email asking if he could make a fender tag from the information I gave him (after owning the car 17 years and knowing the two previous owners, I know a bit...) he just said, "I will defer you to Dave at MMC" and gave the link to the site. Anyway this guy at MMC Detroit looks like the real deal for what I want. He just deals in Mopar only, 1966 to 1974. They reproduce trim (fender) tags. They get right down to every tiny detail and these are the guys are the "Certified Mopar Authority" and reproduce the inspection stamps and chalk marks, paint daubs etc that came out of the factory for owners wanting full original concourse resto's.

Don't think it will cheap though

As for fraud, as you say, well Australia has pretty strict laws when it comes to vehicle documentation. But it's the VIN tag and radiator support numbers that they are concerned about. The fender tag is mainly a trim tag - it shows trim, paint colour, roof trim, some options and most other numbers relating to manufacture are also found in other places on the car.

I also forgot that the VIN shows the engine, so mine is an H code car and therefore a 4 speed, definitely not a 318 with 3 speed that I considered it could have been.

benlavigne

Reaction score
Brett at datatags or Dave at MMC will not do a fender tag without proper information and documentation, period.
If you look around eBay a little, you'll find some who are willing to create a ''wish''tag...

Ben

Back