• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Finding and Installing AC Vents for 71 Challenger

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 71 challenger that came with factory air. Unfortunately, the PO removed most of the parts and even installed a non-AC dash pad.

How hard would it be to cut the holes in the pad and install AC vents? Other than the holes to insert the vents is there anything different between and AC and non-AC dash pad? I am hoping to install a vintage air system before the hot weather arrives.

Next question, does anyone know where to get the AC vents? I have been keeping an eye out for them and they are pretty scarce.

Thanks!

fasjac

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 71 challenger that came with factory air. Unfortunately, the PO removed most of the parts and even installed a non-AC dash pad.

How hard would it be to cut the holes in the pad and install AC vents? Other than the holes to insert the vents is there anything different between and AC and non-AC dash pad? I am hoping to install a vintage air system before the hot weather arrives.

Next question, does anyone know where to get the AC vents? I have been keeping an eye out for them and they are pretty scarce.

Thanks!
You really need an a/c dash pad. I guess cutting the opening for vents is possibly but, to get it to look right may be very difficult.
I have duct work going to the vents and defrost ducts as well. Sold my last vent registers to a member about a year ago. Let me know if you need any pics or the AC control head unit. I’m pretty sure I have one for a/c. Good luck to you.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Classic Auto Air makes a retro fit vent kit that is meant to look like the originals. They are not quite the same size wise, but look very close. I have set that have yet to be put in.

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
You really need an a/c dash pad. I guess cutting the opening for vents is possibly but, to get it to look right may be very difficult.
I have duct work going to the vents and defrost ducts as well. Sold my last vent registers to a member about a year ago. Let me know if you need any pics or the AC control head unit. I’m pretty sure I have one for a/c. Good luck to you.
Thanks. I think you are right about the dash pad. I was hoping to get around needing to buy a new one. Right now it is only 20 degrees out and about to snow and I am wondering why I am thinking about AC :).

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
Classic Auto Air makes a retro fit vent kit that is meant to look like the originals. They are not quite the same size wise, but look very close. I have set that have yet to be put in.
DrEamer - does the Classic Auto Air vents fit into the original dash pad locations? I am OK with them not looking quite like the originals.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Let me take some pictures tonight after I get home from work to show you everything

DrEamer

Reaction score
OK, I had not looked at this stuff in awhile, so needed to get it out to remember the set up. The vents are only the center, and passenger side. Classic Auto Air sent me a set of full instructions so that I would have the templet for cutting the holes in the dash pad.

20210130_194747.jpg

20210130_194800.jpg

20210130_205827.jpg

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
Back