• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flip top gas cap install

rbbruno3

Reaction score
What do I need to do to install a flip top gas on a Challenger that didn't come with one? I have the new (china) cap and trim ring. Anyone have a picture from outside and inside the trunk. The cap has a rather large black plastic piece (with 3 legs for mounting) that sticks out if installed from the outside. Thanks ,Rick

moparleo

Reaction score
The repros are made in Taiwan. They are made completely of pot metal. There is no plastic. The cap and ring mount with 4 screws. The s/s trim ring is mounted with the little hole facing down. The actual cap is very small and has a surface tab to turn when opening and closing. Every thing mounts from the outside. The covers were an option in 1970 and 1971 only. The covers will fit all years of Challenger but the actual cap is different on the 70 and 71 applications because of tank venting. One problem with the outside mounting though is that the screw tops are exposed when the cover is open and only takes about 45 seconds to steal.
http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mf367.html

moparlee

Reaction score
Rick....It does install from the outside. Your quarter panel needs to have the recessed area for the flip top assembly to work. PIC is a little hard to see the recess.

160.jpg

160.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Put small stainless steel allen bolts through the front with nuts on the back. While not impossible to steal, it makes it just not worth the hassle. There is a gasket that goes under the trim ring. Does your cap have the spring with the rubber stopper on the end? If not, you will need a small cap to put inside of the flip top. Without the cap you will dump fuel when you go around corners.

moparleo

Reaction score
Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
Hi Rick in Australia we had our own Charger it was very different from the B body you guy's have and they came with flip caps that look the same as the 1970 Charger and E body but those caps had a spring loaded rubber seal so you didn't need 2 caps just the flip one. The normal cars had 1 cap in the middle of the tail panel then they had some rare racing cars that had a big gas tank and 2 flip caps one in each rear quarter. I looked at fitting a flip cap on my 1970 Challenger but when I found that the flip cap was actually fake and needed another cap underneath I passed and stuck with the original body colour cap the flip cap looks like a wart on the side of the car anyway it sticks out too far. The flip cap in the rear panel on the Aussie Charger looks cool and being a real deal cap but having this style cap on the side of the car and being fake just doesn't do it for me.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have two NOS caps with the stopper like is commonly seen on the 70 Charger type cap. If you look at the Challenger cap you will see the post for the spring to attach to. The only cap that is a Chrysler cap that would fit inside is the locking cap. Not all fliptops had the locking cap, nor did they have gas running out of them. It wasn't a common option. Most caps that are seen are reproductions. I have seen and do have one with a cup. It came on one of my Challengers. That car has the locking cap. It is my understanding that the cup sealed the weather out of the lock tumblers.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Very interesting. I have never seen a Challenger cap with any other type of seal. I also have 2 NOS caps that I have acquired over the years still in the boxes. Removed only to verify that they were not damaged and they both have the cup type seal. No springs or stoppers. But I guess anything is possible when it comes to our Mopars
I did find some theft proof screws.
http://www.mrmoparts.net/screw-kit-security-for-flip-top-gas-cap/

Last edited:

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was wrong it does have 4 mounting slots. My car is 2 1/2 hours away in the paint shop so I couldn't go look at it or take pics. I'm wondering if the little recess is not deep enough?? (after market 1/4 panel too) When I was last out in CT. looking at the car you could see the black mounting tabs ,certainly didn't look right. I have a 68 Cuda with a flip top no cap under that one . I am aware the challenger does have a cap under as I have that. Still not sure ,??? Maybe someone can snap a pic with their cap flipped open. Rick

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Leo, I agree, anything is possible. I have seen others besides what I have with the spring. Maybe they ran out of cups and did a run with springs.

schlett7nu1

Reaction score
New to the board. Came across this discussion. My car is not currently available. Just to clarify. If the Challenger didn't come with the flip top cap and one wants to install one do the four screw holes need to be drilled or are they already in place and just not used?
thanks
Dereck

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome. Look at post # 6. The link that I show have the pictures that will answer your questions. The holes are already there. They are self tapping type. The flip-top cover comes with the screws. It also take a s/s trim ring. The cover should come with a rubber cup on the bottom side of the cover. This is to acts to do 2 things. The cap required to go under the cover is usually the locking type. The rubber seals the key slot and act as a flexible seal to keep the cap from rattling loose with time. Be sure to clink on the links inside of the links also. Matt has a good picture on post # 11 of a cap properly installed.

schlett7nu1

Reaction score
Got it installed. Curious about one thing. Do the non-CA 70 Challengers use a non-vented gas cap?
thanks

Back