• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flip top gas cap on a Cuda?

Cuda416

Reaction score
been trying to find examples of this, but no luck yet. Not necessarily considering it, but want to see what it looks like. I've seen plenty of other cars adapted with them.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I suppose you could use a challenger tank & fill tube & work it into the 1/4 panel or are you just thinking of center rear hidden by the licence plate ?

moparleo

Reaction score
Will need the section of the Challenger quarter panel That the cap mounts to, to be grafted to the Cuda quarter. The Challenger has a hard bodyline and a lot of curve to the panel that the Cuda does not have. Almost flat ( convex as opposed to concave on the Challenger) on the Cuda. The body line ridge stiffens the panel and adds some impact protection to the cap/ filler area where the cap extends from the panel. I guess you can photo shop what it might look like. Anything can be done with metal...

moparleo

Reaction score
Anything can be done but I would do it with a Photo Shop program first to see how it might look. Actual racing fuel caps were usually flush mounted to the top of the fender like the Charger, Corvette etc... You might want to graft a Charger or modern Challenger filler cap instead of a 70-71 Challenger type that stick out on top of the fender.

dodge_challenger_flip-top_cap-70.jpg

dodge-challenger-gas-cap-modern.jpg

Last edited:

Cuda416

Reaction score
I suppose you could use a challenger tank & fill tube & work it into the 1/4 panel or are you just thinking of center rear hidden by the licence plate ?

I was thinking on the side like a challenger.

Cuda416

Reaction score
Will need the section of the Challenger quarter panel That the cap mounts to, to be grafted to the Cuda quarter. The Challenger has a hard bodyline and a lot of curve to the panel that the Cuda does not have. Almost flat ( convex as opposed to concave on the Challenger) on the Cuda. The body line ridge stiffens the panel and adds some impact protection to the cap/ filler area where the cap extends from the panel. I guess you can photo shop what it might look like. Anything can be done with metal...

Yup, I'm aware of the challenges etc, just hoping to find examples of it being done if any. I think the hard line on the challengers make the raised cap seem not so intrusive, but on a Cuda with the soft curve, it might look like a wart. Been thinking and looking and it seem the newer style would work better. What sparked this was seeing a 69 barracuda with one, then a day later seeing a flip to off of Mazda of all things. Has a gentle curve and sits flush. Again, it's just crazy neurons firing....

gzig5

Reaction score
I put one on my Cuda but its over the original filler behind the license plate
I was going to ask you the other day when you mentioned it on another thread, but do you have a picture you could share? Little details like that or the recessed indicators are the kind of things that really set a car off for me. I have several things I want to subtley change on mine.

70chall440

Reaction score
I will go out and get a picture. This car has a ton of "small details" which is why it took me 14 years to get it done, I kept coming up with new "cool" things to do... I insisted in building my own instrument cluster but I wanted it to look somewhat like a stock rally dash; this turned into a long effort with several false starts (read failure). I was finally able to build the cluster using Speedhut gauges and I really like the result. If I were going to do it today, I would probably just buy a Dakota Digital set up.

IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG

hofilbert

Reaction score
As promised here are some pictures of my flip lock

View attachment 78447View attachment 78448
70CHALL440, nice work. I too was thinking of doing something similar as I hate having to put gas in that awkward fuel location, having to hold the plate up and finding a place to put the cap so I won't forget it....and I have to do this A LOT! I bought a Chally flip fuel cap and was hoping to simply drill some new holes, etc. and have it work like yours. I found though the back surround ring sits at an angle and figured it wouldn't work and possibly sit out too far if I installed some leveling spacers. I don't want to modify the original sheetmetal on my car, and you obviously don't care if you do, but did you have to alter the filler cap or surround ring? Or even alter the fuel pipe end? It looks great. Where in western WA are you? I'm in Poulsbo.

70chall440

Reaction score
70CHALL440, nice work. I too was thinking of doing something similar as I hate having to put gas in that awkward fuel location, having to hold the plate up and finding a place to put the cap so I won't forget it....and I have to do this A LOT! I bought a Chally flip fuel cap and was hoping to simply drill some new holes, etc. and have it work like yours. I found though the back surround ring sits at an angle and figured it wouldn't work and possibly sit out too far if I installed some leveling spacers. I don't want to modify the original sheetmetal on my car, and you obviously don't care if you do, but did you have to alter the filler cap or surround ring? Or even alter the fuel pipe end? It looks great. Where in western WA are you? I'm in Poulsbo.

Thanks. I used a Charger flip top, a Challenger one is probably going to be too thick where as the Charger or even an A body Cuda one is a lot slimmer and will live behind the license plate bracket.

In order to get mine to work, I did have to open up the hole in the cap a little (very little actually), I think made up a pattern so I could ID the factory screw holes for the Cuda, then transferred them over to the cap so I could use the original screw holes on the Cuda. Its actually pretty straightforward. While I did alter a lot on this car, for this deal you would not have to, the cap can sit right over the top of the factory Cuda filler tube and use the original screws.

gzig5

Reaction score
I happened on this thread again and had a thought. Usually that is dangerous. Would it look completely weird to fill in the license plate recess so the tail panel is flat across the middle and then put add the flip top cap? probably drop the license plate to a frame in the middle of the lower valance below the bumper. I guess it would start resembling the 67-69 Barracuda tails. Anyone good with photo-shop to mock something like that up?

Last edited:
Back