• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Floor opening for 4 gear on 72 challenger,

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Greetings all, does anyone have the opening location and size for a four gear into an former auto equipped 72 Challenger. Not sure if floor needs to be opened for the shift rods etc.? It's an A883 with a Hurst Super Shifter. The car has been off the road for 40 years but is on the rotisserie for a complete rework.

This is the place that I know one of the Psycho Chryco Guru's will have been there and done that numerous times.

Cheers

Norm (Redz340)

Steve340

Reaction score
To do it like stock you would need to change the floor transmission hump to a 4 speed one.
I think they are easy to purchase.

Steve340

Reaction score
Someone may have a measurement for you. If the gearbox is in just line up off the shifter and boot.
I have a 4 speed original car if you want some rough measurements. Just let me know if no one chimes in.

The floor under the hump has a pretty big hole hacked in it just so you know.

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Hi again Steve, good to know Mopars are alive and well in the home of the Kiwi, my brother inlaw is a Kiwi and it's his nickname as he now lives in Aberfoyle Scotland. Yeah I was just curious as to whether the Factory just welded in the 4 speed hump over the standard floor and put in the opening for the shifter or if there was more of the floor removed. I have the car up on a rotisserie so it's down to sheet metal. I removed the roll cage and the tubs and any rusted panel and am building it back as a restomod.
The hole in the floor, is it original or done by a previous owner or yourself for access? Thanks for chatting.
Cheers
Norm

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 4 speed hump will match the floor pan & will only fit in 1 place , you can trace around the hump on the floor & cut about 1" inside of that line , the shift rods fit above the crossmember & below the hump , be careful not to cut the crossmember as you cut the sheet metal floor plan away .

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Thanks much I wasn't sure how much of the floor was taken out by the factory and and how much it affected the integrity of the floor pan. Time to get cutting and welding. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Norm

larry4406

Reaction score
Here is some pictures from mine. The hump self aligns with grooves in the pan. I traced it, then offset the trace by the width of the flange, then cut. Kept the piece of the floor at the cross member to keep it sealed from road debris.

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

Steve340

Reaction score
Mine is all factory and the hole in the original floor is actually quite large. Similar to the pics provided by Larry.
The Hurst shifter rods run along the side of the gearbox so the floor needs to be removed to clear them.
Cut the floor right away like Larry has done otherwise work/assembly on the shift mechanism will be hard.
The hole in the original floor is very neat so I assume the factory had a different floor stamping for a 4 speed car than an automatic one.
Then as described earlier the 4 speed hump is welded over the top.

Monty's 340

Reaction score
Thanks Steve and Larry, very good info, much appreciated. My project has been stalled since 2006. The car was in a fab shop and got ripped off, stole the Offy Tunnel Ram, two 660 Holleys, Harland sharp roller rockers Centerlines and 100 32 Firestone slicks on Ansen Sprints. Between that and three kids, a messy divorce I managed to keep the car and now I'm finally retired at 71 and working on it again. I hope to post some progress pics and info as I go along. Problem is I've forgotten more than I can believe, but it does come back as you get into it. Thanks all and Cheers!!!

Norm

Back