• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flywheel to 727 post error

392Charger

Reaction score
I inadvertently posted a question about my SB 727 under the old title of flywheels, which was a different issue. MoparLeo asked what I meant by run away. I used the term from the Chrysler manual to explain the symptom the car is doing. Basically after very light to no throttle (coast) it revs too much before trans engages and goes. This is happening at different speeds but only in drive and as I mentioned in the "Flywheel" post automatic kickdown fails to work as well. I think they are related. I will be doing a trans flush with a flush machine this Saturday as the trans was rebuilt using various trans for parts and then sat for 5 years (interesting life's turns).

moparleo

Reaction score
[FONT] OK Now I understand. You either have a very high stall speed convertor or the convertor is not working properly. When it acts like it is neutral when you let off of the gas, The convertor instead of being locked up, it is freewheeling.
What happens when you first start the car and put it into gear ? Does it hesitate or go right into gear forward ? If it doesn't move right away, and takes several seconds to move, You either have a leaking front pump seal and or faulty front pump. The front pump only works in gear and neutral, not in park. That is why you always check the fluid level in gear or neutral. Start in neutral and the trans will now immediately go into gear and move forward or reverse.

Last edited:

392Charger

Reaction score
It goes right into drive from both park and neutral without any delay. I just had a machine flush which helped second to third shift (slightly crisper) but didn't help the convertor. Is there any way of checking the convertor and is there a way of knowing the stall?

392Charger

Reaction score
Seems like it only unlocks after coasting but I was incorrect on the slippage. When warm,it does slip in drive under moderate to heavy acceleration even though it firmly goes into drive from the park position.

moper

Reaction score
It sounds like the sprague in the convertor is broken or worn. Perhaps a bearing in there is on it's way out (the convertor). I broke a TCI years ago that did that too. If the ctrans engages cleanly and works well at all other times, I find it hard thinking the transmission is at fault.

Back